need to antifoul?

Guy

Visit site
Will any harm come to my grp 20' cruiser? I have not re-newed the antifouling, some parts of hull do not even have old anti-foul on as I had repainted with gelshield 200. I had to get it in the water quickly and I was going to beach it and then paint it, but the season is nearly over now - how necessary to anti-foul? More worried about harm to hull than speed.
Thank you

G

A lot depends on how bad marine growth is in your area? I personally wouldn't drop it in without any on ... I might leave it in a bit too long before renewing it? You say the season is nearly over [your glass is clearly half-empty?] - I would suggest you whip her out, jetwash the bottom, hope that all the flora and fauna comes off without damaging your hull and give her a couple of coats of antifouling and put her back? You could do it over a weekend and then it's done until next year?

Hey - but that's just my opinion!

G

Assuming you are living in the UK, the sea is just starting to warm up so the barnacles and weed will be building up before long and removing them could damage the grp surface of your hull. I agree with SeaBear, let your boat dry out, clean it off and antifoul it - you could get it done in a couple of tides. And if you are in the UK, well the season is just getting going - enjoy!

Guy

Visit site
thankyou

Yes, I forgot about the barnacles. The grp could get chipped etc if I don't antifoul soon.
Thankyou

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
No antifouling

My first cruiser was about 10 years old when purchased. The hull had never been antifouled. She was a fin keeler kept lying against a jetty in Fleetwood, drying every tide. Every month or so the previous owner would brush the hull down to remove the initial slime that precedes shell growth. If you were prepared to do the same no harm would come to the boat.

I purchased my second boat ashore, lying in a cradle. I was unable to anti-foul the four squares of hull beneath the support pads and launch day with a crane was too hectic to allow any last minute attention. At the end of the season the four squres were clean and the rest was badly fouled with weed and shell!

Modern antifouling is so ineffective that you will certainly need at least one mid-season scrub to ensure a fouling-free surface. I have been considering giving up on antifouling altogether as it always seems like money down the drain. A quick scrub every month or so seems a small price to pay.

Kevin_Fuller

Visit site
Well I have a 34 foot deep keeled boat kept on a mud-berth on the East Coast and agree with Vye that anti-fouling isn't particularly effective. A boat with anti-fouling paint needs to be scrubbed once or more likely twice a season to keep completely clean with bio-friendly moder paints. Therefore for the past 8 seasons I have not used anti-fouling paint at all.

It is necessary to go round the boat with a long handed (10 foot handle) scrubbing brush inserted in a rollock from a dinghy to effectively scrub around the hull. And occasionally go for a swim with mask and flippers and scouring pad to keep the hull clean.

I use 2-pot polyurethane paint on the hull which is hard and does not easily scratch, which lasts about 5 seasons before requiring repainting (I respray). I need to just wipe with lavatory lime scale remover to remove brown scale at the end of the season. As a result I save a lot of sanding down old antifouling paint, painting and the expense of overpriced partially-effective antifouling paint.

You hull will not be particularly protected from damage with antifouling paint, the paint is just for looks and Gelshield will protect it from all but marine growth which just needs regular elbow-grease!

Best of luck, Kevin