Need a Free Crewman?

lindblkr

Visit site
I am a 19 year old poor, white college boy who is looking for an adventure this summer. I will offer my unskilled labor ( and I would pay for my own meanls) to any yacht owner who is planning to sail anywhere in the Pacific this summer, June through August (i.e. French Polynesia, Hawaii, Solomon Islands or Somoa). I have not done something like this before but I am a fast learner who has a penchent for sea exploration. I am willing to drive anywhere for departure. If you are interested you can replay or email me at lindblkr@plu.edu
thank you,
Keane

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
suggest you need to put rather more in your bio than nothing, otherwise you are unlikely to get a lot of interest.

<hr width=100% size=1>

contest101

Visit site
Have you tried crewseekers, they are always looking for crew. May be best to start on a cross channnel trip, if you can hold your stomach down go further. You don't want to be on an ocean leg with a force 8+ and all your lunch comming up.
Theres load of people out there with to much money and no crew.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
when i need crew for a delivery trip, i expect them to pay their own transport to and from the boat but i provide the food on board. when eating ashore they pay their own way.

on pleasure trips i expect a contribution to the cost of food (usually £10 per day).

i never ask for contributions to the running costs of the boat nor do i charge a fee. bear in mind however that i generally only take on experienced crew who are capable of standing a watch on their own.

i think this arrangement is pretty typical though last time i helped another owner to deliver his boat from scotland to the S coast he reimbursed travel expenses as well.

<hr width=100% size=1>

A

Anonymous

In determining whether prospective crew are capable of standing a watch, how do you check? Do you always require formal qualifications (e.g. competent crew), references, or do you carry out a telephone interview and assessment?

Are there any insurance implications? Employer's liability, negligence, etc.? Should one inform one's insurers that one has crew on board? After all, the relationship isn't quite like having one's family and friends on board - i.e. it isn't social.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
to determine whether they have the experience i ask them first then keep a general eye on the way they handle themselves on board. bullsh***ers soon give themselves away, like the crewman who grabbed the top guardwire and swung himself aboard as soon as he arrived - he wasn't left in charge at any time! for long trips like a transatlantic we insist on sailing with them for a few days first.

as regards insurance, that is one of the main reasons for not charging a fee or paying them. there is no commercial relationship. as far as we are concerned, visiting crew are friends, some we have known for years, others for a few days. no insurance company could call them professional crew or paying passengers.

of course the problem of our liability in court if crew are injured on board still remains but the insurers can't repudiate the claim because we've not known them long, met them through the internet etc.

<hr width=100% size=1>

A

Anonymous

I think that we will probably take at least one crew to help us round to Gib. I have it in mind to take them on in the Solent area and plan a final departure from Falmouth, so we could make crew changes there, if needs be.

<hr width=100% size=1>