Nearly Low tide at Cardiff Barrage

sb99

Visit site
Some pics taken near to low tide ons saturday 15th september.

Worth seeing where buoys guide you.

View of outer harbour

DSCF0653.jpg

Just leaving outer

DSCF0655.jpg

Near outer harbour entrance

DSCF0657.jpg

Highway to outer wrach

DSCF0658.jpg

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Good to see they have put back the 2 PHMs - a couple weeks ago they were well up on the bank. And why on earth do they have a preferred channel marker instead of a SHM?

Thanks for the pics, I'll have to do the same for Portishead.

And BTW, I grounded after turning east past the Outer Wrach recently at LW, and put some deep gouges in the keel. Does anyone know if the recent dredging has left piles of spoil dotted around?

graham

Visit site
Nice pics SB99 Usefull to visitors and locals as the channel is never exactly the same due to dredging/silting.

The Preferred channel buoy is to avoid confusing the bouyage for the main Wrach Channel into Cardiff Docks.

The sectored light on the barrage wall is visible even in daylight and can be seen just to the right of the St Davids Hotel building in the background from the start of the channel ..Thats the large building with an odd structure on the roof.The buoys are dragged up the bank to allow the dredger to work .If you dont know it is very confusing.

There are some more photos in the gallery on CBYC website.

Turning to the east you need to push on for another 150 yards or so after leaving the Outer Wrach to port at LW before turning to port.

Another place to avoid if going that way near LW is the shallow ridge to the NEof the Cardiff North bouy. It shows the shallowest bit as drying 0.7 but there is much less water there at the moment .I wouldnt go passed the North Cardiff on a spring tide until at least 1.5 hours after Lw .I scraped the bottom there when I worked out there should have been plenty of depth.Calm at the time so a few turns on the keel winch,problem sorted /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

graham

Visit site
Hello Tony How did the weekend go ?saw you and Amadeus slip away on Friday. You may need to go into User Options (Just next to the Log In/Log Out button)then Display preferences to enable you to see pictures in posts.

Allan

Visit site
Recently I have seen two boats hit the mud just before the porthand bouy as they turned into the channel. I always use the lights until I am between the red and the green with a red top. I then turn 90 deg and take a curved route into the outer harbour. At cetain times my sounder stops working due to the silt kicked up when the lock opens. Do you know how much tide there was over datum when you took the pictures?
Allan

sb99

Visit site
I took the photo’s after watching the rugby (we won’t go into that) so I’d guess the photos were taken at approx 4.30. approx 40 minute after low water.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
"Turning to the east you need to push on for another 150 yards or so after leaving the Outer Wrach to port at LW before turning to port."

Duly noted

"Another place to avoid if going that way near LW is the shallow ridge to the NEof the Cardiff North bouy. It shows the shallowest bit as drying 0.7 but there is much less water there at the moment .I wouldnt go passed the North Cardiff on a spring tide until at least 1.5 hours after Lw"

Yes, I had a dodgy moment around there as well!