Navtex frequency converter?

skyflyer

I have an older Nasa target navtex unit which just receives the one frequency (490?); a friend mentioned that he thought you can buy a converter unit that receives the new frequency (518?).
The current aerial is 'active', i.e. a voltage is sent down the coax to the aerial that has a pcb with gubbins attached to it so i'm not sure that one of these units would work as presumably it sits between the aerial and the navtex unit and might not like 12v up its jack-plug?

Anyone have any experience?

earlybird

I had an early, single frequency, (518kHz), Target Navtex. When 490kHz started, Nasa produced a dual frequency aerial, which I bought. It was really two separate, tuned aerials, with a change-over switch in the down-lead, worked well.
AFAIK, they're still available at around £30.

skyflyer

thanks but the one on their site states

Navtex and Target Navtex 2 channel receivers
It is not suitable for single frequency receivers - see 518Khz type

I can't find any '518 types' listed :-(

earlybird

Ah!! sorry, just looked at the on-line instructions for the Target Pro, it seems that the later design is switched on the instrument itself, mine wasn't. I'm going back >20 yrs. BTW.
All I can suggest is ring NASA, who seem to be very helpful

ithet

I friend of mine had a old single frequency NASA Target Pro, on contacting NASA they gave him a good deal on a trade in for an new model.