NAVTEX again

whiteoaks7

www.seasolutions.co.uk
I've read all the recent posts on NAVTEX (see below) but am still left with a problem. My NAVTEX still receives safety info but no longer gets the weather from Niton. Having checked the charts I am within 150nm of IoW (I'm in Milford Haven) and have the correct channel set up (in fact I've tried this with all channels selected and got loads of exotic stuff but still no weather). What has happened? I haven't changed the set, the antenna presumably works because I get the safety stuff, and the boat's location hasn't changed. Any ideas????

David

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Niton I think changed there ID letter, not sure, as I'm in the meddy and never seem to get forecasts on mine anyway, lots of crap, but no weather.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jacket

I\'m in Cambridge, boat\'s at Titchmarsh marina, W
Visit site
Is yours one that shows the messages its not saving scrolling along the bottom of the screen as they're being broadcast? If so, it might be worth watching the screen at the time the forecast is due to be broadcast, to see if its being recieved but for some reason not saved. Niton braodcast the forecast on the national frequency some time between 0645 and 0715 and 1845 and 1715 BST - maybe someone can be a bit more exact?

<hr width=100% size=1>

johna

Visit site
David

Niton changed its ID either from E to S or S to E last September. Pleased to here it is still working otherwise.
John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
It isn\'t just the stations....

...you need to program, the message types saved also need programming.

If it's a NASA, on the main menu it offers you (if I remember - the boat is in Greece) UP to program stations & DOWN to program messages or maybe vice versa. You then select "ALL" or "Some" or "None" then move across changing the case of the category designatory letters as to wether or not you want to receive them.

If you don't have the handbook send me a PM with a fax no and I'll copy it to you.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>

tillergirl

Visit site
Niton are E now but I didn't get any weather from them either (and it switched on to receive weather messages) Just as well the Dutch and Germans give the weather even if it favours their side of Thames. I don't understand it either.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Oldhand

Visit site
If one observes 490kHZ (local Navtex) on a comms. receiver, there is a strong interfering signal. This interference is effectively reducing the range at which the Navtex signal can be decoded and is probably the cause of you not getting Niton's weather (I presume you are talking about the inshore forecast) transmission. I have not heard of any action being taken to find and eliminate the source of the interference.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tillergirl

Visit site
I've always thought it a little ambitious to receive Niton here on the East Coast. What seems odd is I get nav messages (well some of them at least) but never get the weather ones - not once in ten days with the kit on all the time. But then I listened in to several local radio stations at the times listed in an almanac (this year's) for the inshore forecast and never heard those either. It's probably me.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
French Navy

They have a de-gaussing facility near Moulin Blanc, Brest. When this is in use you cannot receive ANY NAvtex in that area even from their own station which is quite near.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>