Navman 5380 Plotter - any feedback? Gaelforce has a deal at the moment

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Hi everyone, Gaelforce have the Navman 5380 plotter at a price of £209.95 with a local C-Map or for £269.95 with a full UK & Ireland C-Map package. Seema a good deal and I'm tempted but does anyone have any experience of this model?

Marsupial

Visit site
you must know the length of your boat to use it accurately

Then you need a stop watch

Throw it over the bow whilst underway and time its splash to the stern, you can then work out how fast you are going.

Sounds a lot for use once device though.

johnphilip

Visit site
Never mind the throw away wit.
The Navman is an easy to use plotter but this one has a very small screen. I have the one with a 5" screen and although well pleased with it I would now have paid more for a larger screen. The problem is that on a small screen when you pan over to look for another buoy you lose your bearings easily while the screen redraws or you zoom out to see the whole area and then the buoys are removed from the display to stop the picture becoming cluttered. You pay your money and makes your choice. This is an area where we pay "leisure marine " rip off prices. Although the GPS and software are the same for the large and small screens we are expected to pay hugely more for an inch or two of screen.
The small screen does of course flatten your battery less.

JayBee

Visit site
I have got the 5380i with the integrated antenna. This seems to work just as well at the chart table as it does under the sprayhood. It is very portable and, small screen notwithstanding, does an excellent job. It is a backup to a Furuno Radar/Chartplotter, which uses a lot more power. Well offshore, in general chart territory, the nav data screen with position, SMG and CMG is useful and easily read from a distance.

The problems of zooming in and out of chartplotter displays are common to just about all these devices and the 5380 screen only makes it marginally worse.

The build quality seems to be excellent.

DaveS

Visit site
It strikes me as a very good deal. Like other respondants, I use a Navman with a 5" screen, but I would quite happily go smaller. Provided the resolution is good enough, then you just have to get a bit closer to a smaller screen. Not a problem if you've tiller steering and, if the display is in the companionway, a smaller instrument will give you more room to get past.