Navitus Bay gets a thumbs down by the Government

Seajet

Visit site
Well I think it's fantastic news, that development would have blighted one of England's best sea views ( not insignificant for the great many seaside hotels etc ) and been a navigational hazard to boats and ships.

It's not as if wind turbines actually contribute anything useful, and I remain to be convinced they get anywhere near paying for themselves when the running costs of the factories that make them, the ships to erect them, ships to maintain them and all the people involved is factored in.

I don't want this to develop into another thread about efficiency and subsidies, so let's just say I and a lot of people are dead chuffed !

Seajet

Visit site
Tide power, that's the way to go; huge torque and absolutely reliable - well the tide is, I suppose a turbine might get a diver or something jammed in it now and again...

Robin

Visit site
Well I think it's fantastic news, that development would have blighted one of England's best sea views ( not insignificant for the great many seaside hotels etc ) and been a navigational hazard to boats and ships.

It's not as if wind turbines actually contribute anything useful, and I remain to be convinced they get anywhere near paying for themselves when the running costs of the factories that make them, the ships to erect them, ships to maintain them and all the people involved is factored in.

I don't want this to develop into another thread about efficiency and subsidies, so let's just say I and a lot of people are dead chuffed !

+++ ! Excellent news.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
All governments need to sort out their energy generating needs, all of the power generation stations are well passed their design life and are due for replacing.

With Hinkley Point on hold government needs to think long and hard about taking back the funding of these massive projects into public hands and renting out the power production to the generating companies, but that would be far to easy for the lawyers to understand.

At 0845 on a Saturday morning wind is generating 18% of power, nuclear 24%. For a new technology that is pretty good.

Alpha22

Visit site
It interests me when moored at Wells next to sea, where the Sherringham Shoal and another wind farm are maintained from, to hear on the VHF how much diesel fuel each wind farm boat has taken from the pumps.... 1000's of litres on a daily basis.... 4 or 5 boats a day............

Lon nan Gruagach

Visit site
Fact is we are not producing more CO2 it has been there since earth got off the starting blocks. We are just re distributing it

Not quite right.. Sure we arent, and cant really, produce any more carbon or oxygen, but what we can do is keep more of it than we have become comfortable with as CO2 instead of trees, or dead and buried trees. Aside from the whole is it/isnt it and are we making it worse argument, during the time humans have evolved a large amount of the carbon that we have burnt was not part of the biosphere.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Hmm. So I got it back to front.

I thought those fans were to provide wind during calm periods so that boats could sail to Studland bay, rather than motoring and producing CO2.

All part of the long term plan to plough sea grass so it grows more prolifically. To feed more seahorses.

Last edited:

dancrane

Visit site
Tide power, that's the way to go; huge torque and absolutely reliable...

That has always sounded thoroughly convincing to me...but why have there been so few moves towards benefiting from this reliability and predictability of output?

Seajet

Visit site
Dan,

my guess as to why we have useless wart-on-the-landscape wind turbines would be something on the lines of landowners being chums of the Tories, and subsidies...

The only tide power projects I can think of offhand are a turbine in Strangford Lough, Ireland and is there a tide barrage job at Cardiff Bay or was that just a proposal ?

I did see, much to my surprise, that Windsor Castle and the surrounding area is powered by a row of slanted Archimedes screw type turbines on the Thames.

It's so bleeding obviously the way to go it makes one weep...

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Dan,

my guess as to why we have useless wart-on-the-landscape wind turbines

So not at all like those windmills, left over from a previous non-carbon generation, that we all love?

windmill-01.jpg
windmill.jpg

Seajet

Visit site
That's right Ken, nothing like them !

Also the olde stylee windmills didn't tend to be sited in large groups adjoining - and destroying the view for and value of - neighbouring properties.

There's even an old one on my club burgee, and there's a nice one on the skyline as one trundles north up Emsworth Channel; the horrid new things make me want to reach for a hacksaw.

Beyondhelp

www.aboardmyboat.com
This except from the main report is a bit err 'special':

The ExA accepts that there remains considerable uncertainty regarding the effects of piling noise on Atlantic salmon, and also seahorse. However, these certainties are not within the applicant’s power to resolve and the Panel accepts the regulator’s precautionary approach to modelling and mitigation.