Navily

Irish Rover

Visit site
I remember many years ago a Turkish friend admonishing me for looking at something with horses glasses. It took me a while to figure it out.

Bellacruiser

Visit site

Yeah it’s auto-translated with some very bizarre results. Sometimes more useful to view the original and paste into google translate.

ETA my other favourite is the gripes about “buzzers” which I think are wasps:p

Yngmar

Visit site
I find it quite amusing. Especially all the dead bodies the French keep talking about (nautical French for mooring buoy is corps mort - which the non-nautical translation robot translates as "dead body"). Still useful though.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
The real point is: Is this site any use.
At the CA we are always looking at competition, to make sure we stay ahead of the game.

So Far, Active Captain, Cruiser Wiki etc have all been looked at but all have their issues. The CAs own APP "Captains Mate" is heavily used by its members for all reports which are in English - and are regularly reviewed by a team of reviewers, Any crowd sourced info system is a problem in the long run, and especially so if no editing or control takes place. It is primarily aimed at the Cruising Yachtsman and cover the world as our members are global. Europe and the Med and Baltic is extremely well covered with a huge increase in reports in the last 2 years - I rarely look at pilot books anymore as the level of information from Holding and protection to very good and up to date info of ports harbours, marinas and anchorages is all very up to date. The APP though is not a total substitute for a pilot book. In addition you can see any CA members in an area if you choose to be "visible."

Navily is strange, I am not sure what market it is trying to address - but it seems only suitable for Booking short term marinas. Its reports on harbours look complete rubbish and not worth looking at.

goeasy123

Visit site
Navily Vs Captain's Mate: I think it's a question of 'business model'. It looks like Navily's original idea was to sign up marinas and take a cut of the booking fee. Now they've added a two tier model.... free & premium paid for. The premium version doesn't seem to add anything you can't get for free elsewhere, but the interface is well structured and sexy, and it has more reports in some areas.

The CA's business model is different. Captain's Mate and membership of the CA gives you things that an app-only business can't.... like access to the CA's HLRs. I've used this twice and it's proved very valuable. The group MMSI and Find a Friend are also handy. AND THE BIG DIFFERENCE some of the discounts (including marina charges) you can access are a win. For me (and I guess for the average cruiser) these more than pay for my CA membership fee every year. Don't tell the CA. They may put up their fees!!!

Makes me think, if the CA had a language switch on their website French, German and Spanish and the same for Captain's Mate, and with a little SEO, would it be a world beater.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Navily Vs Captain's Mate: I think it's a question of 'business model'. It looks like Navily's original idea was to sign up marinas and take a cut of the booking fee. Now they've added a two tier model.... free & premium paid for. The premium version doesn't seem to add anything you can't get for free elsewhere, but the interface is well structured and sexy, and it has more reports in some areas.

The CA's business model is different. Captain's Mate and membership of the CA gives you things that an app-only business can't.... like access to the CA's HLRs. I've used this twice and it's proved very valuable. The group MMSI and Find a Friend are also handy. AND THE BIG DIFFERENCE some of the discounts (including marina charges) you can access are a win. For me (and I guess for the average cruiser) these more than pay for my CA membership fee every year. Don't tell the CA. They may put up their fees!!!

Makes me think, if the CA had a language switch on their website French, German and Spanish and the same for Captain's Mate, and with a little SEO, would it be a world beater.

Definitely a different business model. But for them to succeed in a crowd sourced environment they are going to have to resolve the editing/maintenance issues - which are difficult enough at the CA - with a wealth of dedicated editors....I am not sure in a public app like Navily it is possible to achieve - eg Facebook etc.. The CA needs these facilities to attract membership, so is very motivated to improve continuously - and so far they are succeeding well.

goeasy123

Visit site
Definitely a different business model. But for them to succeed in a crowd sourced environment they are going to have to resolve the editing/maintenance issues - which are difficult enough at the CA - with a wealth of dedicated editors....I am not sure in a public app like Navily it is possible to achieve - eg Facebook etc.. The CA needs these facilities to attract membership, so is very motivated to improve continuously - and so far they are succeeding well.
Chris, If I understand you.... The CA's app won't/can't attract much membership because you have to be a member before you get to see Captain's Mate. If for example the CA made CM available to everyone with just the ability to view entries, I think it would bring in new members. I.e. Non-member, as well as seeing the mooring options, they see all the add-ons but can't use them until they join the CA.... AND you can instant-join as an in app purchase I bet there would be a few extra sign up's.

I bet you there's a deal the CA and Navily could do??

scruff

Visit site
I think dismissing navily as useless because it's open source is quite bold statement.

It's very similar to the position a decade ago that wikipedia would be useless compared to Microsoft's paid for Encarta...

Which one of those won in the end?

I've been using the free navily last couple of seasons and generally impressed at the number of Anchorages included and the shelter that can be found within.

goeasy123

Visit site
Scruff,

Navily is great. Comparing the two is apples (Navily) vs a bowl of fruit (all the CA offers including the Captain's Mate).

Microsoft won.... they dropped Encarta and put the investment into better propositions. Wiki struggles to get enough donations to keep its not for profit business model going.

Irish Rover

Visit site
It would be great to see Captain's Mate available as a stand alone app and I'm sure there are thousands of boaters like me who'd happily pay for it. When thinking about a price point I reckon something close to the Navionics price would be about right. However I also see why the CA want to keep it as a members only facility.

Star-Lord

Visit site
I had to join up finally to enter this discussion on Navily. Navily is a French company and the translations are so very French! My favourite expression is 'the sinners' who I reckon are Fishermen? Anyone who has seen a sign in France, in a bar or wherever, that is written in both French and English will notice the French version is at least twice as long. Their language is a lot more expressive.
Navily is amazing! The anchorage database is superb... Too many examples to give but I have been using it dozens of times every year and is very useful. Every passage plan needs a bunch of anchorages imo. The reviews of marinas and facilities are usually spot on... In fact I can not recall one marina review that is not spot on. I have used the App since it came out and have used it from Galicia, Portugal, Med Spain, Balearics and Sardinia and it has made life so easy. Highly recommended and an amazing service. Obviously never used it to book a marina berth! It seems for the paid version they now offer forecast as well... Honestly I would pay a one off fee or a yearly sub just for the anchoring info. For example the next passage will be from Cagliari to Greece then Albania, Montenegro and Croatia (getting ready to be near countries outside of Shengen because of this Brexit fiasco) and I will use a marina maybe here and there... You can plan the whole trip on Navily without ever going into a marina. So easy to use. Great photos. Excellent info on holding. I'm on it most days!