Navigation rules versus practicality

lydiamight

Visit site
Both the collision regs and the PLA website make it quite clear that you should always keep close to the starboard bank when navigating the Thames. If travelling upstream in a sailing boat against the prevailing westerlies do I get told off/prosecuted if when tacking I cross the river/estuary to the other side? Yes I have made sure that there is no other traffic in the vicinity. No I don't want to use my motor all of the way.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
The PLA rules follow IRPCS, with specific regard to narrow channels (rule 9), though there are some extra bylaws which can be checked <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.portoflondon.co.uk/display_fixedpage.cfm?site=maritime&id=374&site=maritime>HERE</A>. These do not prohibit tacking. In general these rules give the sailing yacht right of way over a small motor vessel provided it is not limited in its ability to manoevre, but prohibit it from impeding any vessel of over 20m.

This is categorically not the case elsewhere. I was involved recently (as a witness) in a case where an English yacht tacking in the Veersmeer in Holland had collided with a motorboat proceding along the right hand side of a marked channel. The yacht was at fault - tacking yachts must keep clear of all boats following the channel. (It might help if the the Dutch published their rules, which one must carry aboard, in English). Suspect the same is true of CEVNI regulations for inland waters of Europe.

Apart from at a few harbour entrances, I know of no cases where yachts are expressly forbidden from tacking. Not something I'd do among the London bridges though.

Birdseye

Visit site
Cant answer - it depends on the PLA bye laws.

The colregs can be altered in harbours (and that is not the same as a dock ie will include the river) and they undoubtedly will have been ammended for the Thames. I dont know what the alterations are. They could, but probably dont, require you to use engine all the time. You need to read them. In fact, since ignorance of the law is no excuse, you are required to know them!!!!!

And those of every other harbour you go into!!! Who says the Law isnt an idiot?

In the real world, is there any possibility of anyone being there to tick you of? We have harbour bye laws here covering 10 miles of river and the harbour has no enforcement capability, no boat, no staff, and no inclination. So the rules only really apply in court when you have had an accident.

<hr width=100% size=1>this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

dickh

Visit site
I went up the Thames several years ago in a Vivacity 20 singlehanded and was tacking across the river - the PLA launch told me off in no uncertain manner and told me to keep to the stb side of the river. I was a bit miffed as there was no other traffic on the river, certainly no large vessels.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

AndrewB

Visit site
Where did this happen, Dickh?

I've sailed up/down river to St Kats or South Dock many times, often beating when necessary, and never had any problems. They are fussy around the Woolwich barrier though, that bit must be done under power, and I wouldn't be too pushy with the Woolwich ferry. Above Greenwich, it really isn't practical in summer because there are too many tourist ferries running up and down the river.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Other threads that may be of interest