Navigation during Henley regatta

Mataji

Visit site
EA notice board states no boats may navigate within the regatta course for the duration of the women’s regatta.
Does this mean the river is closed to other boats?
Also, can a boat get through during the main Henley regatta next week.

shades

Visit site
The Women’s Regatta was last week!
There was a clearly marked navigation channel, as there will be next week for Henley Royal Regatta.
Navigation rules are on the Harbourmaster’s Notice for the event.

Pump-Out

Visit site
Passing through HRR you will also see something astonishing that you don't see the rest of the year.........

EA Patrol Boats.

I think it must be their mating season, as they all gather in the same place for seven days, buzz around expectedly, then disperse again to nest elsewhere. This extraordinary scene has yet to be properly filmed and discussed by Richard Attenbough. Sadly the outcome is always the same, we never seem to get any new launches out and about....

Pump-Out

Visit site
Thanks for the information.
Sensible head on...

If you have VHF then listening to Chan 74 is a good idea, as you will hear the large passenger vessels jostling for position, especially near the bridge. You'll know to keep clear.

The two pinch points are:
a) Downstream of the bridge. The racing crews are crossing to/from the boat tents. Commercial and private craft are either lining up to engage the bridge when travelling upstream, or crossing the area to get in a position to navigate the gap between the course and Phyllis Court. gets quite exiting, especially Friday and Saturday afternoons.
b) The Fawley Narrows. If you meet the New Orleans coming the other way he ain't giving way. Bods going for a gentle skiff will pretty much fill the space unaided, whilst countless launches attempt to maintain steerage-way behind the skiff!

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I'm going tomorrow and probably Saturday too in my Eton Racing Boats Podium coaching launch.

Should be a good platform for watching the races. I have no megaphone which for a number of different reasons is slightly disappointing.

Black with yellow stripes Nairobi cricket club blazer to fit the scene.

One will be mostly watching the afternoon races as it is a bit of a trek from Cookham.

Weather looks quite pleasant.