Navigable rivers for liveaboard in the UK

Hellpants

Visit site
Hi folks.

I'm in the process of sorting out my boat in Greece and returning to the UK once things calm down a bit. Planning on using the French canals to make my way back to the UK. Without getting into all the drama that life is throwing our way in the past year or two, I have had to come up with a new plan about how to use and liveaboard my boat.

I have no fixed marina or port to call home and im' not quite sure where I will be or exactly when. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of what inland waterways in the UK would be suited for a small sailboat. Just to give me the potential for some extra inland adventures and places to visit, much like the narrowboat world.

my boat is 9.35m in length, with a beam of 3.15 and a draft of 1.6

I will be removing the mast in France for the trip, and subject to there being enough river to cover, would be prepared to do the same again in the UK. Ideally, something like the Netherlands Staande Mast route would be ideal.

I know this is far better suited to a flat bottom boat, but I am hoping this is only going to be for a year or two before I have done a refit for the Caribbean.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

TonyMS

www.montgomery-smith.org
We live on the Great Ouse, You can get as far as Huntingdon with a beam of 3.35m and airdraft of 2.7m.

There are many free 48 hour moorings, and some marinas that accept liveabords. We have a small private mooring, but, of course, these only come available from time to time.

The stretch from Earith to Huntingdon is lovely.

TonyMS

Tranona

Visit site
Very limited if you want to travel, but OK in some mainly east coast rivers to just park and go up and down. Your draft and beam exclude you from most of the canal system. Nothing remotely like the Netherlands route you mention. Most of the UK canal system dates from the 18th and early 19th century and is 7' wide, 1.m deep max and 2.5m airdraft at most. There are some wider canals or canalised rivers such as the Trent penetrating inland to industrial areas but few that are joined up in a way that enabling travelling around - just to and from the river estuaries. As you will discover going through the French canals mast down travel and living can be a PITA - OK to just get somewhere, but thought of living aboard long term with a mast on top does not fill one with joy.

Probably best to restep the mast at Rouen or Le Havre or wherever you come out and head for a coastal marina. You would want to do that anyway to cross the channel. Away from the South coast hotspots it is easier and cheaper to find a liveaboard marina or alongside mooring.

Hellpants

Visit site
We live on the Great Ouse, You can get as far as Huntingdon with a beam of 3.35m and airdraft of 2.7m.

There are many free 48 hour moorings, and some marinas that accept liveabords. We have a small private mooring, but, of course, these only come available from time to time.

The stretch from Earith to Huntingdon is lovely.

TonyMS
Thanks for that. I’ll go research it now

Hellpants

Visit site
Very limited if you want to travel, but OK in some mainly east coast rivers to just park and go up and down. Your draft and beam exclude you from most of the canal system. Nothing remotely like the Netherlands route you mention. Most of the UK canal system dates from the 18th and early 19th century and is 7' wide, 1.m deep max and 2.5m airdraft at most. There are some wider canals or canalised rivers such as the Trent penetrating inland to industrial areas but few that are joined up in a way that enabling travelling around - just to and from the river estuaries. As you will discover going through the French canals mast down travel and living can be a PITA - OK to just get somewhere, but thought of living aboard long term with a mast on top does not fill one with joy.

Probably best to restep the mast at Rouen or Le Havre or wherever you come out and head for a coastal marina. You would want to do that anyway to cross the channel. Away from the South coast hotspots it is easier and cheaper to find a liveaboard marina or alongside mooring.
Thank you for that

ryanroberts

Visit site
Anywhere truly inland will need a boat safety schema certificate, and as people said 1.6 means you will be restricted to lower non tidal reaches. Thames and Trent doable, the Trent most suited for living aboard now as compliance as a well meaning liveaboard is now pretty much impossible on the Thames - you either go full pikey or get a marina. I think you get get to Nottingham on the Trent with your depth, but there are not many services below Nottingham and there is no way you will get through the canalised section to pass the weir.

V1701

Visit site
If/when you do approach coastal marinas in the UK, best to not mention living aboard. Most however do "tolerate" a few quiet liveaboards despite there usually being something in the contract that forbids it. Best of luck with your plans...

jaydee1976

Visit site
river deben,river orwell(near ipswich suffolk on east coast) both are ok for liveaboards,but deben bar is pretty narrow and shallow this year already, and at the end of the deben it gets very shallow. but a few creeks to moor up for a few weeks if needed, plus got the river stour from harwich

nortada

Visit site
Is there still a community of Liveaboards at The Butt and Oyster at Pin Mill❓

There is mains electricity and water to the berths and I believe it may be administered by the local council.

Easy walk to Wolverston Marina & chandlery and the Royal Harwich Yacht Club but bit of a climb to the Chelmondistone, the nearest shops and bus stop.

A car would be a major asset.

jaydee1976

Visit site
Is there still a community of Liveaboards at The Butt and Oyster at Pin Mill❓

There is mains electricity and water to the berths and I believe it may be administered by the local council.

Easy walk to Wolverston Marina & chandlery and the Royal Harwich Yacht Club but bit of a climb to the Chelmondistone, the nearest shops and bus stop.

A car would be a major asset.
yes the community is still there