Nauticat Hel Whell removal

graham460

Visit site
Hello Fellow Sailors

I am in the process of trying to order Solar panel Equipment, I am struggling for some space.. O I was hoping to install the Victron Cerbu within the helm Box

I have taken off the Large cover and the Large NUT But the wheel does not come free.

I have slackened 1 of the Circular Nuts in the centre of the wheel, (Need spanner at the back. Quite a pain of a job with limited access) before I get carried away Does anyone knpw how the Helm whell comes off . It seems to be SOLID on the shaft

I will add some pictures - I can see sort of a small recess - Like a Keyway in the Centre. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Nauticat 44 Wheel  - 1.jpeg
    Nauticat 44 Wheel - 1.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Nauticat 44 Wheel  - 2.jpeg
    Nauticat 44 Wheel - 2.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Nauticat 44 Wheel  - 3.jpeg
    Nauticat 44 Wheel - 3.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Nauticat 44 Wheel  zz - 2.jpeg
    Nauticat 44 Wheel zz - 2.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Nauticat 44 Wheel  zz - 4.jpeg
    Nauticat 44 Wheel zz - 4.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Nauticat 44 Wheel  zz - 7.jpeg
    Nauticat 44 Wheel zz - 7.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 12

lusitano

Visit site
Usually just a tapered shaft with a keyway.
I,ve had success removing these by using a couple of wooden wedges lightly tapped in between the spokes and the back panel. A bit of heat (careful with the varnish !) around the brass boss can help as well
They can sometimes release with a bang so leave the nut on the shaft a couple of turns to stop the wheel flying off when it releases
Alternatively, a three legged puller if you have one.

Last edited:

graham460

Visit site
Hello lusitano.

Thanks for the advice - I have some wood.. Bit would not want to beak the b ice Wheel..

Question. WHAT ABOUT GETTING IT BACK ON THE SHAFT AGAIN. How is that done..

Reason. When We sailed from Uk..2016, I had to hire a skipper - He waslooking for the Hydraulic fluid intake for the AFT wheel outside he wa sadamant to take of the wheel to check that position Turns out the hydraulic fluid is On top
ANy way that Whell has never been fully tight after that Even fitting it back with the Dished Washer turned the other way round and Tigh as possible with Sockets.

Rgds

graham

lusitano

Visit site
Hello lusitano.

Thanks for the advice - I have some wood.. Bit would not want to beak the b ice Wheel..

Question. WHAT ABOUT GETTING IT BACK ON THE SHAFT AGAIN. How is that done..

Reason. When We sailed from Uk..2016, I had to hire a skipper - He waslooking for the Hydraulic fluid intake for the AFT wheel outside he wa sadamant to take of the wheel to check that position Turns out the hydraulic fluid is On top
ANy way that Whell has never been fully tight after that Even fitting it back with the Dished Washer turned the other way round and Tigh as possible with Sockets.

Rgds

graham
By not "fully tight", I assume that you mean the wheel is rocking fore and aft slightly on the shaft ?
If so, with nut and washer removed, the wheel should slide off the shaft fairly easily.
There should be no damage to the wheel providing that you are careful. An old towel wrapped around the wedge will stop any scratching and try to get the two wedges as close to the centre boss as possible - 3 o,clock and 9 o,clock positions to begin with, followed by 6 o,clock and 12 o,clock positions if necessary. Repeat if required
Refitting - Clean shaft, keyway and wheel boss thoroughly with some fine grade emery cloth and add a touch of grease to the shaft before sliding the wheel back on.
Providing that there is enough thread on the shaft to allow,
you may find an additional fine flat washer will tighten everything up.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Different wheel, but a very similar problem. In my case there is a backup grub screw through the wheel hub that engages with the shaft. Have a look around the radius of the hub for a grub screw, also remove the brass plate off the wheel hub and look under there.

Good luck.