National mooring ring shortage ?

Captain Coochie

Visit site
While the EA where redoing the foot path and piling at Sunbury i called them to let them know that someone (maybe a fisherman) had taken an angle grinder to a few of the mooring rings . I was shuffled about to the right department and said i thought i would let them know . Now all the work has been done and the missing rings not replaced aswell as a huge gap where they have redone the foot path /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Is there a shortage of mooring rings ? Was the team there not qualified to fit mooring rings ? Or are these 40ft gaps there to make sure the narrow boats get a mooring spot /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
A few years back at Henley I mentioned to an official of the Regatta that there was a shortage of rings along their bank from Leander downstream. To my utter amazement there was a workman there that afternoon installing new ones.

Captain Coochie

Visit site
Well i've just been down there to put the boat back on it's mooring and there was a bloke walking a dog . I think it's Sunbury regatta next weekend so lets hope they get some rings in for the visitors .

oldgit

Visit site
Down here at Maidstone some very posh stainless screw-in ones appear for our river festival,they then promptly disappear back into storage for 51 weeks until the following year ??????

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Down here at Maidstone some very posh stainless screw-in ones appear for our river festival,they then promptly disappear back into storage for 51 weeks until the following year ??????

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats 'cos the council know you are there and will nick them if they leave them. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

oldgit

Visit site
Arr well,in actual fact the buggers used some enormous big open thread with very rounded edges that are unique to the holes in the footpath,it was not until I managed to "liberate" one which got left behind and get a copy made,that I can now smugly secure the boat fore AND aft on the nice bit of the bank leaving others to wander up and down forlornly looking for something to tie up to.

oldgit

Visit site
These beasties were custom made in stainless steel and the best description of them amounts to that they looked like a 6" piece of old fashion barleystick.

DinghyMan

www.ff-systems.co.uk
The ones in B&Q were steel and were a couple of different types, a standard screw type a bit like a giant version of a corkscrew and another which was like a giant woodscrew with 1 inch plus flat spiral thread like section around the outside. Both looked like they would take a good bit of force.