Nash channel

Megaboat

Visit site
Recently returned to Bristol Channel purchasing a beneteau anteres 10.80 MB. We will be taking her from Swansea up to Portishead around end March.

We went through nash passage years ago and was wondering what the forum view of navigating the passage is these days?

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
Last time we took it was eastbound in 2016. It’s fine in settled weather and a lot less nerve-wracking than you’d think. It’s tougher heading east than west because tou have to travel some distance inside the sandbank to the ‘pinch point’ of the channel itself off Nash Point, which means you can’t easily bail by changing your heading if you find bad conditions there (it’s relatively easy by comparison to bail and head offshore from Nash Point if heading west). But on a big mobo you’ll be through before you know it.

Birdseye

Visit site
Its fine. All that is needed is accurate navigation - plotter waypoints at the entrance and the exit.

Only ever used the outside route once and got into minor trouble since the sand banks move and my chart wasnt up to date. Other than that I have always used Nash in whatever weather that I would want to sail in.