NASA transducer cables

jimbouy

www.bluemoonlight.co.uk
Hi,
I don't want to start a debate on the durability of NASA instruments.

My question is regarding the transducer cables. NASA instructions always say not to cut the cables, but some times this will be impossible toavoid.

For example the get the cable from a wind instrument down the mast.

So has anyone cut and re joined such a cable and were there any problems?

Jim

<hr width=100% size=1> "It is a pleasure to give advice, humiliating to need it, normal to ignore it"

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
I fitted a new Navman wind instrument to my last boat, and HAD to cut the cable to get it down the mast - the plug would not go down.

I fitted a through deck gland and connected both parts of the cut cable in a small box with connector strip (chocolate block) below deck.

It worked perfectly.

I think NASA are only protecting themselves against a complaint of the wind instrument not working if the cable has been cut and reconnected.

In the past, I have also cut and rejoined the cable from a sounder transducer, and more recently in my present boat, the cable from my GPS aerial.

Just make sure the connections are made properly, and better than chocolate block, solder and sleeve the connections and cable with heatshrink tubing - adhesive lined if you can get some.

Go for it.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards,
Philip

G

All cables can be cut and re-made EXCEPT for Echo-sounder. The E/S uses the length of cable and sound travel time through water to determine the depth. Cutting the cable and fitting a new plug - very easy though !! will give false reading. All other instruments are basically pulse or counter based etc. except for radio of course !

<hr width=100% size=1>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gps-navigator/
Posts personal opinions and maybe controversial

steve28

www.falmouthgypsy.com
i had the same probel , the solution for me was to unsolder th wires from the head unilt and put thewm in from the bottom up with the mast down. The only problem was one i caused in marking the wires on the board i put the first letter of each colour with out noticing the blue and black had the same first letter.
It actually works with the exception that the wind direction is reversed port to starboard.

<hr width=100% size=1>