NASA AIS COG option?

Nigelb

Visit site
Just fitted NASA AIS unit with dedicated aerial, very happy with performance but website refers to a COG function that I have not found and does not appear in the manual, anyone familiar with this setting?

Secondly, periodically the unit 'resets' to the HOME screen, which is annoying as one loses the tracks associated with the AIS targets and it takes several minutes to re-establish the view. Do other users have a similar experience? I wonder if it has something to do with low voltage, but I cannot find any data sheet to establish if the unit has a low voltage sensor.

Plum

Visit site
Just fitted NASA AIS unit with dedicated aerial, very happy with performance but website refers to a COG function that I have not found and does not appear in the manual, anyone familiar with this setting?

Secondly, periodically the unit 'resets' to the HOME screen, which is annoying as one loses the tracks associated with the AIS targets and it takes several minutes to re-establish the view. Do other users have a similar experience? I wonder if it has something to do with low voltage, but I cannot find any data sheet to establish if the unit has a low voltage sensor.

Hi, I have a NASA ais too. I have always assumed all ais displays show COG of the target vessels (as indicated by the trail lines) relative to your COG. So by default you see COG and therefore is not something you set.

Regarding resetting to the home screen, I have never had this problem and have never had a low voltage problem making it go to home even when cranking engine.

Colin. Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Pye_End

Visit site
Used to have a problem with my set re-booting (also setting off the alarm) - usually happened in the wee hours of the morning. The set is a few years old, and when discussing the issue with NASA they recommended changing the software chip. Did this, and seems to have solved the problem.

Nigelb

Visit site
Hi Plum,

I took the website to refer to the orientation of the display, I believe the default setting is North UP and I thought it had the facility to show Head Up, is this something you are familiar with?

Regards Nigel.

doug748

Visit site
This bit?:

"A COG pointer is selectable by the user. All AIS carrying vessels and SART transponders are displayed with bearing and range relative to the user. Any vessel on the screen can be selected by the user. The selected vessel is highlighted and its data displayed on the right of the screen....."

I think it is just rather misleading wording and means that you can select any vessel's COG pointer for further information. The documentation with Nasa products has always been less than basic, it would only take an hour or two for someone to improve hugely.

As you say the thing itself is fine but how little it would have cost to have fitted an off switch, an AIS output and an alarm buzzer.

Plum

Visit site
Hi Plum,

I took the website to refer to the orientation of the display, I believe the default setting is North UP and I thought it had the facility to show Head Up, is this something you are familiar with?

Regards Nigel.

There is no setting on mine (bought 5 years ago) to change to a heading-up display. Just north-up only.

Colin. Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk