Name and shame

Neeves

Visit site
A special mention is needed when the anchorage is uncrowded. Those with tiny anchors and overly long scopes deserve bonus points :).

However, after many years at anchor, just moving is invariably the best option.

View attachment 178857
From the decorations they all look like yachts involved in a race and I would expect them to have minimalist anchor (but still within the rules). Yacht no 1 immediately aft of the yacht from which the picture was taken seem to have their anchor directly under the yacht, which would be difficult - implying that when they dropped their anchor the photographer's yacht was someplace else.

I do agree if you find someone, anyone, to close - move. If they ARE too close they obviously have something to learn and teaching them can conclude in the wrong result.

This is the advantage of sailing in Tasmania (and I imagine the Western Isles of Scotland) - both are difficult to access - and you simply would not go there unless you are confident. If the location is blessed with perfect weather and blue seas - you can expect people who are still low down in the learning curve.

Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
On the concept of name and shame - we all need(ed?) to learn and a lot is learnt by the mistakes made. Hopefully the mistakes are one off and the lesson learnt. I'm all for encouraging people.

If you find a habitual idiot - naming and shaming might be appropriate - but this would be unusual - as they go and find a different pastime to which they are better suited - mistakes on anchoring can have serious consequences and an inability to anchor would be debilitating (and cause for divorce).

Forget blue, warm seas and the lands of the lotus eaters - stick to North West Scotland and your troubles with neighbours will melt away.

Jonathan

noelex

Visit site
implying that when they dropped their anchor the photographer's yacht was someplace else

Jonathan
No, we were not "someplace else" when the offending boat dropped.

The yacht you can see in the photo in post #5 dropped their anchor very close to ours with a little more scope, but set their anchor almost at right angles to the wind, no doubt to try and increase the separation from our boat.

This is common tactic for people with limited anchoring experience. They mistakenly feel if they can "park" their boat in a spot it will stay there. Of course they quickly swung to the wind direction and settled just behind our boat.

These types of issues are not unusual. Some otherwise skilled and experienced sailors only rarely anchor. Rather than becoming upset, it is usually better to move.

Last edited:

noelex

Visit site
This a photo from the same anchorage sometime later. You can see the middle boat is dragging by its orientation at right angles to the wind. It scraped along the side of the Sun Odyssey and is about to hit the grey yacht.

The splash is a crew member falling in the water.

You_Doodle_2024-06-22T10_59_20Z.jpeg

Yngmar

Visit site
We called it anchor TV. It's great fun to watch, much less so if you're involved. Occasionally helped sort it out when people were able to accept help (freediving very useful when things are entangled), although one panicked charter captain nearly mowed me down while furiously motoring around with his anchor hooked on another boats chain. I dived away and he just ripped his bow fitting off and bent that of the other boat. His wife at the bow nearly fell off too. Two kids wailing on deck. What a great fun holiday some people pay a lot of money for.

Don't cruise in Italy during their 3 month long summer holidays if Culatra already stresses you out :cool:

ridgy

Visit site
To be fair unless the wind has a reasonable strength then boats can sometimes swing in odd ways. I was musing this from ashore over a few pints while anchored in a busy bay off lefkas the other day.

Later arrivees could not have guessed where some of the anchors were although all politely reanchored when problems eventually became apparent.

But anyway, who tf gives their boat a surname.

GHA

Visit site
We called it anchor TV.

Don't cruise in Italy during their 3 month long summer holidays if Culatra already stresses you out :cool:

In Culatra the season in almost upon us!, locally called "drag racing", has always been a popular spectator sport there July/August when the charterers & "a few weeks in the summer" boats turn up. Every afternoon wind veers round to the west & picks up. Clever cruisers are already anchored to the west & watch the fun from happy hour 😁