naff fridge

G

The fridge stopped working recently and although it also runs on gas I did'nt fancy that so bought a new one
(price of new fridges heart attack job)

Anyway got the new one in through the side door, disconnected the old one lifted it up galley steps heavy
bugger, into saloon. Tape measure revealed that it would not go through either of the side doors or
the door up to aft deck. And thats just the fridge so replacing the cooker would present same problem as
its bigger than the fridge. Deduced that they must have been installed from new, either through the saloon
roof (removable section for engine replacement) or through central front saloon window.
Chose the latter option by removing the large central window then somehow manhandling this heavy fridge
through window opening. Then having to rebed the window again. About 100 screws and two tubes of mastic
later job done but what a game.

"The Med is calling me"

ccscott49

Visit site
Yes, they are bloody expensive and unesscessarily so, rip off the yachtie time again! But you'll need a good fridge down here! I'd consider a mains fridge next time, as I have an inverter anyway. You can get them for 100 quids! as opposed to 450-500 quids!

G

The old fridge was, would you believe, AC 240v or 12v or Gas. It ran off 240v when on shore power
then switched to 12v on the move. I have a 1500w inverter which we power the computor from when on
the move, I suppose we could also use a 240v fridge off same. However you could'nt use an inverter to
power a fridge overnight surely, I mean what would it do to yer batteries overnight?

"The Med is calling me"

ccscott49

Visit site
The fridge will use the same power from your batteries for a 24 or 12 volt fridge as it would for a mains fridge and inverter, it's the watts you see, ohms law, amps x volts = watts. so if your fridge is a 500 watt fridge it will draw 2.2 amps at 230 volts, or 41.6 amps at 12 volts, your fridge won't be that high a wattage, but you see the comparison. OK the inverter is only maybe 95% efficient, (a lot are better than that now) but you're a motor boat, so you will be charging all the time you are moving, and if your going to the meddy, you will probably have a little genny aswell? and when your in a marina you have shore power, so whats the problem. Some will tell you that marine fridges are especially buil;t to take the rocking about, horse manure, they are the same compressors fitted to a whole range of portable type fridges. Just an idea. I've seen a lot of liveaboards on motor boats especially with mains fridges, big ones, I have a mains freezer, when I'm charging my batteries with the genny, I turn it to super cool, it drags the temp right down, so when I shut the genny down, I turn the freezer to normal, stored cold!! the freezer doesn't then cycle for ages. One other tip, shade the fridge, it's surprising how much power this saves and when your running the engines or genny, put a fan close to the radiator at the back, assists cooling! Good luck with your preperations!