Mytilini, Lesbos

Ric

Visit site
I've just been offered a job which would mean being based with monthly rotations at Mytilini. It would raise the possibility of sailing my boat down there, to live on board while I am working. Would be interested in any info on what the marina is like for liveaboards. Noisy/hot in summer? Habitable in winter? Is it possible to reserve a berth in advance?

macd

Visit site
Mytilini marina was utterly moribund (but free :)) until about three years ago. Now owned be the Turkish Setur group who are quite slick and making considerable efforts to make it attractive. When I was last there the office was fronted by a French lady who spoke excellent english: don't hesitate to put questions directly.

There seems to be very little by way of liveaboard community, although I've not been there in winter. In summer it's as hot as...well, as hot as it is...it's in the bloody Aegean, for gawd's sake. Winter climate will vary between mild and chilly, with rainy periods but a good deal of sunshine. Not noisy at all: a short walk from town, but far enough to escape any din.

There is a certain amount of marine engineering/servicing resources in Mytilini, mostly associated with commercial fishing. Probably not much specifically to do with yachts.

Interesting town, truly lovely island.

P.S. Sorry, only just noticed your question about advance reservations: yes, I'm sure it's possible. The web site's here if you don't have it: http://www.mytilinimarina.com/
Pricing is as per the common Turkish practice of "area": length x beam. There's a price calculator on the website, but Setur often do what they call "campaigns" of special offers. Your best bet's to ask them directly.

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We spent a couple of nights there a few years ago when it was still free. Shelter seems to be excellent although I seem to remember reading somewhere that in some rare conditions it can be lumpy. Hard to believe as it is totally enclosed. About 10 minutes walk into town, which was lively in summer.

Caladh

Visit site
We stayed for a week in October last year and really couldn't fault it. Yes, it's run by a Turkish company but did seem WELL run with everything clean and working. There's a large supermarket 5 mins away and main town 10 minutes plus. Lesvos is a lovely island to look round. Can't say what it' be like in winter - sorry !