My England-France-Ireland-England plan for August

Babylon

Visit site
I've got 4 weeks off, ie all of August. Plan is to cross Channel from Solent to CI's, then press on to NW coast of France (how far to go?), before making the long crossing to SW Ireland (to get as much offshore and night experience as possible), returning via Scilly Isles to South Cornish coast and finally hop back to the Solent.

27ft yacht cruises at 4.0-4.5kt average (can motorsail at up to 5.5kts extended runs), long-keel, draws 1.4m, myself (two channel crossings and one run down to Devon so far as skipper) and one other crew.

Is this feasible, or do peeps have other suggestions?

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Its doable but for me that's not a very relaxed sailing trip. I can cheerfully spend a month sailing for a day and laying up for a day. However, its only a couple of days sailing from France across to Ireland and its an over night sail from Ireland back to the Scillies. My other problem with the plan is that the weather might have alternative ideas for you.

Last edited:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
As John says doable but not very relaxing say a week CI & NF not going round the corner but Ushant is well worth the diversion and as good a place as any to make the two day hop to SI where it would be a pity to spend less than 2 weeks a day back to the Scillies and 3 to 5 days looking around then 5 days back to the Solent. Where has all the time gone? and the weather was favourable all the time:D I have done all those legs in a Vancouver 27 at one time or another and the timescales are realistic but you won't have much time to enjoy the places you visit let alone keep to the schedual if the weather is against you.

dt4134

Visit site
27ft yacht cruises at 4.0-4.5kt average (can motorsail at up to 5.5kts extended runs), long-keel, draws 1.4m, myself (two channel crossings and one run down to Devon so far as skipper) and one other crew.

Is this feasible, or do peeps have other suggestions?

From Cowes, around Land's End, around the Fastnet Rock, back round the Scillies and into Plymouth would probably take you six to seven days at that speed, even if you didn't stop anywhere. Not that anybody would want to do that in August. :)

snowleopard

Visit site
Sounds like an ambitious plan. I am planning to cover much the same ground but in two separate trips - Brittany in June, Ireland returning via Scilies in August, .

You might be interested to know that there is a proposed cruise in company to S Ireland in August. Thread here.

Babylon

Visit site
Sounds like an ambitious plan. I am planning to cover much the same ground but in two separate trips - Brittany in June, Ireland returning via Scilies in August, .

You might be interested to know that there is a proposed cruise in company to S Ireland in August. Thread here.

Thanks to all for the wise advice. Yes, I'm no racer and it does sound little too ambitious given the time of year and time available.

And thanks Snowy for reminding me about Active's proposals - sounds more do-able, and more fun to meet up with others in the company.

Babs

Visit site
It's about 820nm with a longest leg of 120/150 miles depending on where you leave France from. At an average 4kn, that is say 9 days of 24 hours out of your 30.

I usually allow for 50% days sailing and 50% delays for whatever reason, and I wouldnt want to do 24hrs every day. If you recalculate on 12 hour days, that 18 days total which with the 50% grosses up to more time than you have.

In a 27 footer, that trip is either going to be a bit or an endurance exercise or you are going to run out of time - unless you are lucky and hit a month of good weather almost every day.