My beautiful sieve: the latest twist

Judders

Visit site
Further to previous posts I attempted to draw the chain plate yesterday and wouldnt you know it? The damn thing is not budging. We could not seem to make it leak either. Now much as I would love to believe in shipwright fairys who fix boats when you are not looking, I can not help but think she will leak again as soon as it rains again for three days in a row. I presume the adhesive used when the last repair was done is holding the fixture but not water tight. Any ideas what to do next?

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
Without having seen any previous discussion on this specific problem, I would caution against believing that an internal leak at a chain plate, for instance, actually comes from the chain plate. It is quite possible for a deck leak 30' away to manifest itself at the chain plate because that's the first opportunity the leak finds to exit into the interior.
The chain plate, cleat or other deck fitting nearest to the interior leak is always the first to be blamed but in my experience this is often not right.
The chain plate may be very secure and watertight at deck level and no amount of hosing will make it leak. But if you play the hose pipe on an apparantly innocent stantion base some considerable distance away you might find that eventually a drip appears where the chainplate enters the cabin - the water has run down between the deck laminates and appears at the first outlet it can find, the chainplate.
I sincerely hope this is not the case with your specific leak, but looking further afield for the culprit might pay off.

flyingscampi

Visit site
I rebedded my chain plates a few weeks ago, when it rained recently one of them was damp and I was about to have a tantrum when I realised that the water was coming from the window above the chainplate.