My 61 Merc 350

dave36

Visit site
Folks I'm in it up to my neck! Water pump cover US, could not get it off applied a little heat and saw bubbles coming from a crack! Ok out came the drill and the cover now gone - so where can I get a new one? The gearcase input and prop shafts are also in a bad way, corroded and grooved where the oil seals have cut in.
Any offers of links for parts, redundant motors or help of any description welcome.
I have tried the main American suppliers and have been informed that the parts I need are no longer available.

dave36

Visit site
the 61 350 is a 40 hp type 55 something outboard, the water pump cover is a about 2" dia with 4 holes for the fitting tool (or punch if you don't have the tool, as the previous service person did not have!)

dave36

Visit site
Chevy as in Caddyshack?
I'm looking at the option of making a cover, 2" American thread can't be too difficult - wife more worried about the cost and stress of the whole rebuild, I could have got an old but sea ready cruiser for the money I've spent and the Herr Doktor is trying to get me back in the cardiac unit for a rest before I get another attack!

aztec

Visit site
don't worry about thread, if it's U.S. then it's unf, or unc. if it looks as though it could be made... then i can!. you need to go to a fastener stockist.. they can id thread. then make the thing, fit it, see if it works.. if it does... you're ace if it doesn't then you're crap.. have another go, oh and good luck!

regards, steve.

ahh say what you like.... what's done is done!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.amos/index.html

dave36

Visit site
you are madder than me! I do intend to give it a go - I do intend to get a boat in the water i've waited 52 years now and near death not going to stop me!

Chris771

Ormskirk UK, Cabinda, Gabon or Paphos, Cyprus
Visit site
Cannot really remember the guy's name. Located in an old church building around Atherton/Tyldesley west side of Manchester. Always used to advertise in the powerboat section of Exchange & Mart for engines & outboards.

Possibly Bill Higham or Paul Higham Marine or something like that.

I know that he had a couple of those engines lying around about 10 years ago as he tried to sell me one for parts.

Perhaps someone else knows who I mean? Just hope he is still trading.

Chris

www.impact-computers.net/boat/cruiser.htm