music whilst bouncing around

crazyhorse

Visit site
Hi All,

Im thinking of playing some music whilst making way at speed and maybe in a chop? I dont want a cassette player but am thinking along the lines of a MP3 player for sound that doesnt loose its track when going over large waves.

Any ideas as we may want three hrs plus of sounds.I am not convinced of a CD from the standpoint of loosing its thread or jumping track in a chop.

Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1> Chase your dreams and you will always be happy<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by crazyhorse on 03/03/2003 00:28 (server time).</FONT></P>

BarryH

Visit site
I've got a Kenwood CD player in the boat. Never had it jump when out in a chop. Even at full speed bouncing over the wave its ok. Can't hear too much a speed though with the engine scraming away, bit pointless really. Normally use it when anchored or pottering back up through the harbour, plus if its too loud I can't hear the VHF.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

crazyhorse

Visit site
Well thanks for your time ,I have heard the Sony may be the way to go with memory sticks?

Im sat on the fence on CDs but thanks anyway.

We want to use it whilst under way at times .The vhf will overide the music when it recieves a signal and will pump through a graphick so as not to make it a safety issue.

<hr width=100% size=1> Chase your dreams and you will always be happy

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I have a normal Radio cassette thingy. Though it's a faily good one. Thing is the previous owner fitted Alpine speakers. Its got four of them. Now whilst I'm sure it is quite capable of drowning out the two Volvo unsilenced diesels at full bore. Its not really worth attempting. Less of course your 18 year old and brain dead to begin with. Same with my system at home. Ive learned to go for sound quality. Not volume. Still theres 100 wats per channel so not compleatly dead, and can wake the neigbours or the other side of the village if we wish. You need a good amplifier and good speakers. What it comes from is unimportant.

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue> Haydn

BrendanS

Visit site
MP3 or something similar that stores music on a solid medium is your only choice.

Anything with moving parts suffers, expecially CD's when in a chop, or hitting big waves.

Problem is that the current range of MP3 players are personal players (little box with headphones) and car type MP3 players replace the cd jukebox in the boot, and either play MP3 CD's or contain a hard drive, neither of which are suitable in chop or waves.

So, the solution is to install a normal car radio, then plug a FM transmitter into you personal MP3 player, tune in your radio to your personal radio station, and enjoy music whilst hitting the biggest waves. You can search for gadgets like this on the internet, but you can see one example <A target="_blank" HREF=https://www.myirock.com/myirock/shopping/index.jsp?product_id=&store_id=101&afl_id=-1&dist_id=-1&productID=&quantity=1&funcID=9901&department_current=40&search_product_name=>here</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
To get to the quick. Are we talking waves here or WAVES. If i've got proper waves I dont want music. Theres more than enough sound going on and enough visual effects to keep me going for a life time. Suppose you mean little waves and bouncing a bit. About as much movement as bonking!! A wind up HMV 45 Or 78 will deal with these circumstances quite readily. Course you have to change the neadle every record and maybe change the door opening setting occasionally. We managed quite well when we were young......../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue> Haydn

crazyhorse

Visit site
Well All thanks again,

I think I may be getting there,Looks like I may not even need a MP3 player just a good amp and a set of speakers.

I have just rememberd that I have a waterproof, Rugerdised/Shockproof? panasonic laptop,So I can download MP3 software
burn a few Cds and stick the output through an amp/graphic and hey presto a Rugerdised waterproof mp3 player with no skip,and a Colour Gps plotter already thrown in for free.

Its memory is far bigger than a sony Memory stick and Im £5oo quid better off as I have the Laptop anyway,and dont use it.
Its all down to wether the Hard drive skips,but I have got the best chance of it not doing as The drive is set in Gell for shock proofing.

Thanks for your kind advice,

Yipee, Hopefully?

BrendanS

Visit site
Quick answer. My CD player is bleedin useless when I open up in any waves over 2 foot high, it skips over whole sections. Don't forget I've got a much smaller boat, and it flies over waves rather than going through them, so the landing is what causes the disturbance

<hr width=100% size=1>

crazyhorse

Visit site
Dear All,

Thanks for your help and if the Laptop doesnt work then I will try Brendans way as it is cheap and has no moving parts,The only down side is the amount of music that a small Mp3 Holds.

Once again Thanks.

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Are music freeks all imsoniacs? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
You could always plug a personal joggers CD player that you have on your person into an amp, that way your body will absorb the shock, a bit different to a bulkhead, you can then take it with you when you go aswell. The are quite cheap now.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
I think it will be one hell of a launch party with all the good guys there and all that champagne!

Cheers,

tcm

Visit site
Re: how loud, how wavy?

ah yes, a decent amp is a must - but don't most biggies need 240v? - in which case an inverter is the thing. If you get this right, you can actually have it so loud that you can't hear the engines at all. Our record at anchor was to make somebody on another boat visibly surprised at the racket (and then go a bit mental) about 100yards away! For super-high-volume, you need to play classical music which is somehow more difficult to complain about. Note that if waves/speed are at or above the level at which a cd jumps, them the laptop will also jump and be on the cabin floor, I think.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
The Answer
Install a car type CD player (CD's are the standard and easiest for aquiring) Make sure that the player has a socket on the back for a stacking CD system (most have these days) Buy the wire with the plug on one end for the CD player and the plug for your MP3 player on the other.
I've just done this for a Blaupunck radio and the lead I got from
http://www.bluespot.co.uk/ for about £7
My project was to link my laptop to the radio to get good sound for watching VCD's
It works!
David

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Pretensions of Classical Music

Yeh I've come across a few. There is a group of people who play classics loudly thinking they are impressing people by their 'good' taste. I'm sorry they get the same treatment from me as any other music which infiltrates my 'space'.
David

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Ditto what Barry said, I've never had a CD skip on me at speed. If it's very lumpy, I don't care about music anyway, I've got enough to think about...

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
I have a 10 disc multi changer on the boat which has never really jumped (Sony) and I also have a DAP Jukebox 20GB.

The DAP is great for downloading CDs to MP3 and as you can store up to 400 albums on one player that is as big as a mini portable CD player it is ideal as I can plug it into my car stereo, lap top, boat stereo, headphones anything I want. It also has an in built charger and comes with its own rechargeables.

The good thing is the software, you stick in a CD to your laptop then connect to the internet and it downloads all the song info genre title atrist etc so there is no typing or effort in logging your info. The search facility is easy and you make up special playlists and store them so you dont have to keep queing the music.

Also can be used to store or backup info from your pc or laptop as it is a portable hard drive.

Is this for the new boat?

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

2003 is going to be a good year for me

Confused

Visit site
Crazyhorse

you big girls blouse

music on your rufty tufty go anywhere ally rib, you'll be wanting to have decanters layed around the tubes next, with flowers and pot pouri

thought you would be relishing the sound of your new monster diesel, slaming through the briny

whats your first track your gonna play ?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bettsy-lou.cjb.net>http://www.bettsy-lou.cjb.net</A>