Multistrand cable, joining and purpose

Humblebee

Visit site
Hi all, I've just taken down my mast for the winter. There are four cables going up the mast, three with glands on the deck, each with different fittings. The one I am unsure about is thin, multistrand, something like this;
5 Core Thin Wall Cable - 5 x 16.5A (1.0mm²).
It is joined under the deck, passing through a narrow hole in the deck, with chocblock connectors and is most awkward to access and reconnect.
So, first question, what is this cable likely to be for?
Second questions, is there a better way of joining it below the deck?
Thanks all,
Chris

Daydream believer

Visit site
So, first question, what is this cable likely to be for?
Cut it off & you will soon find out when you put the mast back up :unsure:
Surely you know what is up your mast. When it is down just hook a 12 v battery up to them & do a test to see what does what. But in any event take pictures of the chock box connections inside the boat so you know what connects to what when you re connect. Choc box are good for this but if you are going to do the mast down job from time to time then fit bootlace ends, crimped to the wire ends, rather than just bare wires- which will degrade over time as the screws cut into individual strands
A VHF & AIS aerial should be obvious

Last edited:

rogerthebodger

Visit site
When I wired up my mast, I fitted a swan neck on a stainless box, and I connected the wires inside the box with crimp bullet connectors. Each wire had number rings showing which wire must be connected to which

BabaYaga

Visit site

justanothersailboat

Visit site
Very likely to be wind. I severed mine at deck level and fitted a 5-pin plastic "aviation" waterproof connector which I was pretty impressed by the construction of (very thorough design with o-rings). Doesn't seem to have caused the wind instrument any problems. It's sat through quite some rain and waves since. I was nervous because those cables can be fairly expensive, but I seem to have got away with it. If it works with a choc-block below deck it ought to work with a proper plug and socket.

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk

Humblebee

Visit site
Cut it off & you will soon find out when you put the mast back up :unsure:
Surely you know what is up your mast. When it is down just hook a 12 v battery up to them & do a test to see what does what. But in any event take pictures of the chock box connections inside the boat so you know what connects to what when you re connect. Choc box are good for this but if you are going to do the mast down job from time to time then fit bootlace ends, crimped to the wire ends, rather than just bare wires- which will degrade over time as the screws cut into individual strands
A VHF & AIS aerial should be obvious
Thanks for that, there is a wind indicator which shows direction but not speed (as it should), a VHF which works and has an easily recognisable connection. Nothing else up there works - anchor light, tricolour, deck light and maybe others I don't recall.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Trouble with those you cannot get them through a small deck gland. Even difficult to get through a hawse pipe..So not really suitable for situations where they have to be disconnected & passed back through a deck fitting.

Thats why I fitted a swam neck to a stainless-steel box on the top of the deck so any connector does not have to pass through any deck gland

my mast step and mat connection box

Last edited: