moving by road

little shack

Visit site
Hi folks just in the process of buying a boat ,having to move it buy road due to circumstances got abit of a fright at the price.Even with flexability and a back load it's a big chunck of money,there must be a tale or two out there to make me feel better:eek:

pheran

Visit site
Hi folks just in the process of buying a boat ,having to move it buy road due to circumstances got abit of a fright at the price.Even with flexability and a back load it's a big chunck of money,there must be a tale or two out there to make me feel better:eek:
Big chunk of money? Yes but whats cheap when it comes to boating. Last year the haulage people charged me £500 to move my 31ft mobo. That covered the use of a brand new and very posh low-loader and the services of the driver for two days (too far to be done in one), his overnight expenses, a round trip of over 300 miles and insurance. Didn't seem unreasonable to me especially as there was no back-load.

Simonpk

Visit site
Nightmare from a Boat haulage firm in Devon.
First thing on the day the hauliers were supposed to turn up, my GK24 was moved from her berth to the hoist, lifted out of the water in readiness for the haulier. No show, some old cock 'n' bull story, but "they will be there with a replacement truck the next day". Again nothing. The yard then had to put her into a cradle as the hoist was required for another lift. Again not a sign of the hauliers. After a week of broken promises, the yard had to lift & move her again as she was in the way. Tried to contact the owner, by phone, text & email & to this day have not had a response.

Finally, had the dick of it & called Boatloads, who were fantastic. Fitted me in the following day, another hoist & delivered her the next day with out any fuss. Kept me regularly informed as to ETA etc.

The cost: £200 more for the haulage which was £450 from Newhaven to Walton, charged for 2 additional hoists @ £328 & £150 to have the mast taken down. But, thankfully the yard didn't charge me for hardstanding.

Finding the cheapest doesn't always pay, it seems as though cowboys are not only in the building trade. :mad:

Simon

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Try Seafix based in Portmadog Wales but a Kentish lad who covers the whole country I think. Quite reassonable for a short haul last year for me. Advertises in PBO. Also moves MIG fighters!

PeterGibbs

Visit site

A rig and driver for an unaccompanied boat trip (ie not so wide the coppers have to outride it) will not cost less than £500 these days for one day's work. With lifting at each end, there's another potential £250 to add.

If you get change out of that you have done well, amigo!

And if you do, it's likely you will be micked about as the rig owner tries to fit you in with other more profitable work = yet more cost!

PWG

little shack

Visit site
yes the price quoted is probably reasonable considering his cargo and I've several recomendations will just have to soke it up and get on with it:) all in the name of sailing.

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com

Welcome to the joys of boating! OR how to spend money without really trying:)

Just looks like a 23'-6" Colvic Watson!:)

Mike