Mounting an Aries

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
My Aries was fitted too low on the transom (long story) of my Rival 32; which means that the hinge on the servo rudder is in the water and the vane does not catch the wind properly. The horizontal tubes are fitted at the top of the transom. (see photo)

I have explored several ways to raise it either by mounting block or clamps high on the stern deck to raise the tubes over the toe rail or actually mounting to the toe rail etc. But I have come to the conclusion that the best way would be to bend the horizontal tubes down to mounts on the transom and extend the lower tubes. (see sketches)

However, the tubes are 38mm aluminium with, I believe, 6mm walls so I think that they would crack rather than bend (radius about 200mm). The original Aries were mounted with bent tubes; they went from horizontal around to parallel with the transom (some 120 degrees) so I imagine that they were steel.

Sp, my first question is this: is there any reason that I can't replace the top tubes with stainless and bend them? I presume that I would need some way of protecting the steel/cast body joint for corrosion?

My second question: what wall thickness in stainless would I need to match the aluminium for strength?

Advice gratefully received :)

aries (3).jpg aries (2).jpg aries (1).jpg

Last edited:

PlankWalker

Visit site
I doubt that your old bent tubes were steel, all the Aires bent tubes I've seen are ally. Nothing wrong with bending thick walled ally tube.

The preliminary evidence of self steering gear in the Golden Globe Race seems to indicate more failures in stainless steel tubing than Aluminium!

There's also corrosion to consider ally and stainless don't like each other.

For what its worth my 36 footer uniquely has the tubes mounted on the aft deck with no problems.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I know that you have discounted it but :-
I do not know how far up you need to go but mine are on the aft deck & you may see from the picture that I have clamps ( Ex Aeries) through which the straight tube slide.
If these are not obtainable, then you should be able to purchase similar from a pipe fitting supply company. Aluminium tubes are easily obtainable & if you go down the bending route I would buy some & bend that first rather than your existing ones.
I buy mine (for model engineering) from Forward metals.

https://www.forwardmetals.co.uk/products/aluminium-round-tube.html

I recently bought some to replace the sacrificial part when the oar snapped in a collision with a submerged object

You could mount clamps on the aft deck on blocks quite easily. The original owner, from whom I bought my Aeries, had 4 clamps on the deck. I do not see why you could not bolt straight through the tube if you had it long & used , say, 2-3 bolts per tube that were not too big. You could buy solid round bar if worried about strength loss.

Here is a picture of my Aeries top clamps & you may just about be able to see them.
I would make the point that on my first outing the unit slid out of the clamps in heavy weather
Now I have a bolt through the clamps & tubes so that there is no way the tube can slip
DSC_2416 (Small).JPG

A further comment on bending.
With the bits of second hand kit I bought was an offset (bent by Aeries) The radius of the bend was quite large & the offset about 2.5 inches. in a length of 12 inches
Going back to deck fixing ( yes I know you do not like) You could get extra height by bending a small offset in 2 lengths of pipe. that would not damage the pipe too much

Last edited:

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Thanks for this. I've also seen a Rival 34 with tube clamps through the toe rail part of the aft deck so I could do that. The modern Aries have a universal joint type fixing which would fit easily there. That would just mean extending the tubes (easily available) to keep the unit away from the lower end of the transom.

DD Bel, is yours sitting upside down there?

Daydream believer

Visit site
Mine is a lift up model & the unit is hinged in the up position clear of the water.
The advantage of this model is that it can be removed in less than 2 minutes & re fitted in 10 minutes for racing.
The adverse , however, is its weight.
the universal joints ( unless you already have them) are not cheap