Motoring without rig

Whaup367

Visit site
Hi,
I need to get my mast taken out for a couple of weeks to get some spreader & shroud work done. I can't get this done at my winter "home port" but if I take it to a nearby yard with facilities and leave it there then I'll have to pay visitors rates at a pontoon while the rig's off, doubling the cost of the work.
Alternatively, I could get the rig pulled, then motor back to my regular mooring until it's ready to go back on, then repeat for re-step.

Mast is ~14m, double spreader. Boat usually in-water over winter. 11.3m fin keel yacht. It's about 4 hours motoring from home-port to the yard with a tall crane that has access to water. I have read that the boat will be less comfortable w/o the rig (quicker motion) but don't have any experience of that in practice.

Is this a sensible thing to do? Any reason why it would be daft?

Thanks,
W.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Hi,
I need to get my mast taken out for a couple of weeks to get some spreader & shroud work done. I can't get this done at my winter "home port" but if I take it to a nearby yard with facilities and leave it there then I'll have to pay visitors rates at a pontoon while the rig's off, doubling the cost of the work.
Alternatively, I could get the rig pulled, then motor back to my regular mooring until it's ready to go back on, then repeat for re-step.

Mast is ~14m, double spreader. Boat usually in-water over winter. 11.3m fin keel yacht. It's about 4 hours motoring from home-port to the yard with a tall crane that has access to water. I have read that the boat will be less comfortable w/o the rig (quicker motion) but don't have any experience of that in practice.

Thanks,
W.
Can't forsee a problem. New builds sometimes motor long distances without masts. How far have you got to go ?

Sea Change

Visit site
You'll likely find the motion a bit quicker, but it won't be dangerously so. Pick a good day.
How much do you trust your engine?

Lightwave395

Me in Cowes, the boat back in UK now at St Mawes
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks,
W.
Probably also depends on the sea state for the journey, no reason IMHO why not other than discomfort.
I was dismasted mid-channel during a windy RORC race many years ago and after clearing up the mess we motored some 20 odd NM's back to the Solent whilst rolling and wallowing very uncomfortably, all 6 of us were seasick at various times but we got there

scozzy

Visit site
Having the main up on the motor can definitely add balance etc and make for a smoother ride but on a nice day without and perhaps a pal sailing in company as you no longer have a plan B should be absolutely fine

Whaup367

Visit site
It's a little over 20nm, about four hours or so (probably less). Engine is reliable (and my tender has a 4hp outboard, so I would have a plan-b, albeit not a great one, if necessary!). I'll be within mobile coverage, too, if things start going sideways...
Thanks- seems like it's definitely worth considering.

Refueler

Visit site
No problem ... as others say - try to pick a good day when sea is calmer ... but even so - its not a problem if not.

The boat will be more lively as the mast will not be countering the keel ... but it will not be so much different to when you are without sails ..

I do this quite often as I have bridges to negotiate ...

Reactions: srm

srm

Visit site
A beam sea will make life very uncomfortable, otherwise go for it. You could try adding lots of jerrycans full of water stowed on the coach roof to smooth the rolling a bit. I jest not, I know of one Ro-Ro ferry that had large water ballast tanks fitted on top of the bridge to improve the motion after some serious alterations made her too stiff. However for 20nm not really needed.

Neeves

Visit site
I cannot believe your motor would be so unreliable as not to be trust worthy for a 4 hours motor - MoBos do it all the time, with no back-up.

Many yachts are delivered as deck cargo, dropped over the side, mast lashed to the deck and then motored to the owner's yard, sometimes involving an open water passage.

Stop worrying

Jonathan

Whaup367

Visit site
I cannot believe your motor would be so unreliable as not to be trust worthy for a 4 hours motor - MoBos do it all the time, with no back-up.
That wasn't my concern, hadn't even occurred to me until someone mentioned it upthread. As noted in my follow-up, my engine is reliable (and reasonably powerful), though on reflection, that's not a given: my previous boat had a brief period of engine issues that might have made this a less viable plan at the time... and yacht engines are generally "auxiliary", not primary. so some might treat reliability as a nice-to-have rather than an essential!
Many yachts are delivered as deck cargo, dropped over the side, mast lashed to the deck and then motored to the owner's yard, sometimes involving an open water passage.

Stop worrying

Jonathan
My concern was more about whether there were other challenges about motoring without a rig that I should be factoring in (like the possibility of it being very uncomfortable, rather than slightly so, for example).

Seems there shouldn't be any issue, so I'll include it as an option. Appreciate the reassurances and happy to see no alarming warnings. Thanks to all who've contributed!

Refueler

Visit site

Stop worrying

Jonathan

Many Mobo's actually have a smaller back-up motor mounted ... or have twin motor setups.

I know Mobo's that can actually hang their dinghy outboard on the swim ladder !

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have a secondary long shaft outboard that I can attach to my transom to push my sailing boat along in an emergency

I could also rig my dingy with its outboard to push my sailing boat along if necessary

When away from civilization you need some backup at times

Neeves cat had 2 engines

William_H

Visit site
It is very strange but very real that the motion of a sail boat without mast is very jerky and uncomfortable. It seems the wieght and inertia of the mast mostly balanced by the keel weight make for a smoother motion. However do give it a try. If it is too horrible you could turn back to visitors pontoon at extra cost. ol'will

srm

Visit site
It is very strange but very real that the motion of a sail boat without mast is very jerky and uncomfortable.
Not at all strange, just the laws of physics. It can be explained with stability diagrams and calculations if you want to look them up. In very simple terms removing the rig lowers the centre of gravity and increases the righting moment when the boat is heeled by an external force. The greater righting moment causes the boat to return to upright much more quickly than normal giving the jerky motion. See my post #11 above re ro-ro ferry.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Not at all strange, just the laws of physics. It can be explained with stability diagrams and calculations if you want to look them up. In very simple terms removing the rig lowers the centre of gravity and increases the righting moment when the boat is heeled by an external force. The greater righting moment causes the boat to return to upright much more quickly than normal giving the jerky motion. See my post #11 above re ro-ro ferry.

I think William is talking about the movement and yes, they will be a greater righting moment due to the lower C of G but the keel should give some damping to that movement thus reducing the movement with the mast down