motor problems

gonad

Visit site
hi all,
got a nasty one. perkins4108 went to fuel up last night,switched off to load when i went to start up again nogo.batteries full. dismantled the starter motor cleaned the brushes tried it out worked fine put it back on nogo not even a sound from thebendix just a click from a small metal can mounted on the bulkhead close by.Could the wires suddenly not be strong enough? if it is wired back to front if I change them round will mess up the engine by turning it the wrong way?
thanks for any help

Bejasus

Visit site
Small metal can has large wire from battery to can & large wire from can to starter motor. This is a switch which is energised when you try to start the engine by smallwire from starter switch to small metal can. Sometimes they have a button on the small metal can which one can press. Could be a bad connection from starter switch to small metal can. I would check all connections/fuses, to/ from battery/starter switch/ small metal can (which is called a solenoid switch btw) and if still no joy, change out small metal can. (Not too expensive) Good luck.

"I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."..........I think????<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by h00 on 07/11/2002 18:52 (server time).</FONT></P>

tr7v8

Visit site
to follow on:- short out 2 large connections with large spanner or screwdriver, aside from large flash starter should turn, if it does then problem is either solenoid or wiring to it. If it does then make a jump lead and short small terminal to +ve battery one , solenoid should click and starter should turn overif it does fault is in wiring or starter switch.

Jim
---------

oldgit

Visit site
Re:Gremlins.

Gremlins.This little creature, especially the salt water variety loves to corrode any old or neglected copper electrical connection.It will only present itself when you least need or expect it.It hates nice clean bright contacts coated with a little smear of Vaseline every now and then.It just loves dark damp inaccessable corners of boats.

And here is the weekend weather..

Moose

Visit site
Re:Gremlins.

Are there a couple of little buttons on the 'metal can' If so they are Semi Automatic fuses (That's what they are on mine) If you press them it will reset the circuit (Oh, that is If they have popped out!)

Moose

I've got a boat at last!!!
WHOOPEE!!!!!!!!!!

BUT WHAT SHOULD I CALL IT?

Col

Visit site
Agreed Jim, But be ready for big sparks (watch for fuel in the bilge first)

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/colspics> Cols Picture Album</A>

tr7v8

Visit site
Aahhhh. a thought occurs to me. On the 140A Volvo do runa relay on the starter solenoid circuit. We need a better explanation of the small metal can.
Don't the diesels run pre-engaged starters as well.

Jim
-------

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
If you did absolutely nothing except switch off to take fuel on and then try to start again, this has to be either component failure or quite possibly a short circuit or connection failure. Think back to the period between the initial engine start and switching off at the fuel jetty. Did you do anything associated with the wiring/starter circuitry? Didi you notice anything else out of the ordinary?
Can you run a positive jump lead directly from the battery to the starter motor bypassing the relay and switching circuit to see if it works? If it does it will narrow it down to the wiring side or relay.

I had a very similar problem recently and turned out I'd disturbed a dodgy connection in a loom connector that must have been hanging on by the skin of its teeth for ages.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boatsontheweb.com/galleryframes.html> BoatsOnTheWeb Photo Gallery</A>

Bejasus

Visit site
Sorry, tr7, but I must have missed the bit where a Perkins 4108, transmogrified into a V*l&o 140 whatever??????................lol

"I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."..........I think????

tr7v8

Visit site
Errrrrrr, Oh b&*(&r, well not quite, not all engines run the starter solenoid direct from the the key, some of them run a relay to switch the solenoid current.
Oh stop waffling Jim for christ sake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim
----------