Morse lever creeping back in use ...

Refueler

Visit site
I have the following old style Morse Single lever on the VP AQ170 ...

Morse control.jpg

It works fine - clutch is easy .. lever moves without any grating or signs of wear ... but if set at a low to mid range throttle lets say 1500 to 3000 rpm - the lever slowly moves back to idle .. if I set at higher - lets say 4000+ - the lever tends to stay where put.

Is there any way to stop this ?? It means at lowish setting - need to rest hand on lever ...

scottie

Visit site
See other current post
Treat it nice
See if there is a friction device on engine
Don’t be tempted to open it detent spring Is specifically designed to move like a winch handle in flight

lusitano

Visit site
From memory, there is a flat spring- loaded pawl that puts pressure on the main wheel assembly.
Maybe the spring is just a bit tired

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
At the engine end is there a spring you could adjust, a lever you could change the effective length of, or angle of pull of the lever and/or cable you could adjust.

Alternatively, you could advertise in the Wanted forum for someone else's old, seized stiff Morse cable they were replacing! ;)

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
At the engine end is there a spring you could adjust, a lever you change the effective length of, or angle of pull of the lever and/or cable you could adjust.

Alternatively, you could advertise in the Wanted forum for someone else's old, seized stiff Morse cable they were replacing! ;)

I tried looking at the carb end of the cable - it terminates underneath the front one of the three huge carbs ..

Difficult to see ...

Here's a picture taken by holding phone down there ...

ByRO50yl.jpg

Here's the carbs hiding the assembly !!

jAnY6xwl.jpg