More navigation hazards to be installed off Dunkirk

westhinder

Visit site
Belgium has designated a new zone for wind farms. It runs parallel to the coast and the main Shipping line from the Channel to Rotterdam, and stretches from the Westhinder Anchorage to the present zone for wind farms. When they will all be built in say 15 years’ time, it will be like a wall of windfarms, with a couple of narrow paths for navigation. Sailing from the East Coast to Belgium will be a succession of doglegs

sailorman

Visit site
Belgium has designated a new zone for wind farms. It runs parallel to the coast and the main Shipping line from the Channel to Rotterdam, and stretches from the Westhinder Anchorage to the present zone for wind farms. When they will all be built in say 15 years’ time, it will be like a wall of windfarms, with a couple of narrow paths for navigation. Sailing from the East Coast to Belgium will be a succession of doglegs

no more 130 deg then :disgust:

Gargleblaster

Visit site
At some stage it would be nice if small boats were able to sail between the wind farms.

The first wind farm I came across was off Copenhagen and it seemed to be common practice amongst sailing boats to sail through what was then a single line of wind generators.

westhinder

Visit site
At some stage it would be nice if small boats were able to sail between the wind farms.

The first wind farm I came across was off Copenhagen and it seemed to be common practice amongst sailing boats to sail through what was then a single line of wind generators.

Trouble is there is no uniformity: you are allowed to sail through some Dutch windfarms, but not all of them and I am not sure it is marked on the chart; Belgian windfarms are no go zones but that might well change. It would be nice if that could be cleared up in the near future.

sailorman

Visit site
Trouble is there is no uniformity: you are allowed to sail through some Dutch windfarms, but not all of them and I am not sure it is marked on the chart; Belgian windfarms are no go zones but that might well change. It would be nice if that could be cleared up in the near future.

I have a "groove" across the Harwich > Oostende track, this could seriously affect my navigation :disgust:

westhinder

Visit site
I have a "groove" across the Harwich > Oostende track, this could seriously affect my navigation :disgust:

Your groove will be quite close to mine, albeit that mine departs from Nieuwpoort.
I hope they will see sense and let us sail through the windfarms. It is not as if a yacht out of control will wipe out a couple of wind mills.

westhinder

Visit site
Yes in the Thames Estuary: no in Belgium or Holland. Don't know the others.

There are a couple in the Netherlands that you are allowed to sail through. I’ll try to find out which.

Edit: there are three, in fact: Offshore Windpark Egmond aan Zee (OWEZ), Prinses Amalia Windpark (PAWP) off IJmuiden and windpark Luchterduinen (LUD) off Noordwijk.
they are mentioned here: https://www.noordzeeloket.nl/nieuws/nieuws/2018/doorvaart/

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site
There are a couple in the Netherlands that you are allowed to sail through. I’ll try to find out which.

Edit: there are three, in fact: Offshore Windpark Egmond aan Zee (OWEZ), Prinses Amalia Windpark (PAWP) off IJmuiden and windpark Luchterduinen (LUD) off Noordwijk.
they are mentioned here: https://www.noordzeeloket.nl/nieuws/nieuws/2018/doorvaart/

Passage and co-use Dutch wind farms permitted on the North Sea
From May 1, 2018, three wind farms off the Dutch coast will be accessible for ships with a length over all up to 24 meters. It concerns the Egmond aan Zee Offshore Wind Farm (OWEZ), Princess Amalia Wind Farm (PAWP) off the coast of IJmuiden and the Luchterduinen wind farm (LUD) off the coast of Noordwijk.

Use of space
The North Sea is one of the busiest navigated seas in the world. This pressure will increase in the coming years, partly due to the construction of wind farms. That is why it is important that the space in this sea is used as well as possible. The Dutch government strives for an efficient and multiple use of space in this sea. The opening of the Dutch wind farms for small shipping contributes to this.

Wind farms
Offshore wind farms are now not accessible to third parties. But because the wind parks occupy a lot of space on the already busy Dutch part of the North Sea, it was decided in 2015 to adjust this rule. This is stated in the National Water Plan 2016-2021. With this, the Dutch government is focusing on multiple use of space such as transit and co-use of wind farms, so that the right of free passage at sea can be applied as much as possible.

Passage and shared use
In other words, through-use and shared use of wind farms is a good example of multiple use of space: the existing wind farms continue to generate their energy and it is possible for (small) shipping to sail the sea between the turbines under strict conditions. Until 1 May 2018, the wind farms on the Dutch part of the North Sea will remain closed for all shipping.

Opening as of May 1, 2018
From 1 May 2018 it is possible for ships up to 24 meters under strict conditions to sail through the wind farms (OWEZ, PAWP and LUD) or to use them for a limited number of activities of shared use such as sport fishing.

Strict conditions
Once opened, the wind farms are only accessible under strict conditions. Violating the conditions or entering for opening up is seen as a criminal offense and will be prosecuted as such.

player.vimeo
View the animation for a visual presentation of the rules
Closed area
Even after 1 May 2018, the Gemini wind farms Buitengaats and ZeeEnergie remain north of the Wadden area.

Rules
Wind farms are expensive industrial installations. Passage and shared use of wind farms involve specific risks for users and for the installations themselves. That is why rules have been drawn up for your own safety and to prevent damage to the wind turbines and cables.

Coast Guard
The Coast Guard monitors compliance with these rules and coordinates assistance where necessary. There is a fine on violation of the rules. If you run into problems in a wind farm, you can make an emergency call to the Coast Guard. Please bear in mind that rescue helicopters can be used more limited in a wind farm.

For more information:
The code of conduct for safe sailing through wind farms (pdf, 1.1 MB) contains the rules and safety tips for sailing through the wind farms in the right way.
Rules in brief (pdf, 30 kB)

Other threads that may be of interest