More 290/DP Probs

dog

Visit site
Finally back in the water again this weekend!! Start with leg trimmed in -3 as usual- up onto plane trim out ok- tried to trim down again later but leg will not return. It will still trim up- just not down. If I returned to displacement speed the leg goes both up and down happily.

Has anyone else suffered this?

Thanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Something's wired up back to front, from the sound of it. Normally, if you have plenty of power on, there's a sensor that stops you trimming up too high. You sound like you have this the other way round.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dog

Visit site
Not too sure it was all fine before the end of last season, leg wont trim up more than its high speed max- upper limit sensor seems to work ok. Leg also definately moves up and down correctly in relation to the switches. Volvo were confused this morning as well- and they fitted it last year! It will no doubt turn out to be one of those electrical gremlins- I hope!

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Volunteers to climb into the back of the engine bay at planing speed, complete with piece of stiff wire to bypass the solenoid with, please form an orderly queue...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Solitaire

Visit site
I had exactly this problem last season - it was expensive. The rams have seals on them and after a while these fail. If your lucky and catch it in time you can replace the seals/rams - about £450. If your unlucky like me, water gets in through the seals and ends up in the trim pump itself. result new trim pump and rams.It sounds as if you are at the early stages, so get it looked at chop chop. It cost me nigh on £3k! It is not an elctrical problem as some have suggested because as you say, the leg trims up at slow speed - it means the rams don't have the "strength" to lift against a strong flow of water. Good luck, and don't leave it too long unless you want a big bill!

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
Yes but the thrust of the engine is enuf to push the leg back under even with knackered Rams. Surely it would be the other way round where the rams cant hold it so push it to -3.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

2003 is going to be a good year for me

dog

Visit site
Solitaire- u got me worried now!! Fortunately engine is still under warranty and volvo are going to look later this week as they had not encountered this before. I hope its not as serious as you said, if so just hope its covered by volvo.

Cheers.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dog

Visit site
Couple of questions based on ram seal failure:

The engine/drive was new last year- should seals only last six months?

When leaving the boat I leave the leg in the fully up position to keep it out of the mud and shite at low tide- would this contribute to the problem or should I leave the leg fully down to protect the ram arms from corrosion etc?

I would have thought that the thrust of the props would force the leg back towards the transom anyway- thus assisting the rams, if the rams were struggling, surley the leg would have problems trimming up as well?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Solitaire

Visit site
MMM! I don't think it can be a ram problem if the O/D is only that old. I have my leg up as my berth drys and it does not seem to do any harm. My leg is some years old. Any way if its still under guarenatee it'sup to them to fix it! Good luck!

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
If you have a problem and have warranty I would not post your doubts on this forum as they could turn around and bite you in the bum. We are not the only people who view this forum.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

2003 is going to be a good year for me

dog

Visit site
Thanks for the advice Depsol, I have no doubts- just curious to see if this was a familiar glitch that others had encountered. Anyway Volvo have been good so far with warranty- no complaints here.

Cheers

Dog.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Piers

www.playdeau.com
I've had just this problem twice on my last boat (Princess V39). Once it was the solenoid. The other time it was the connections to the solenoid, which had become slightly corroded with the passage of winter.

A common problem. I'd be very surprised if it was anything else.

<hr width=100% size=1>Piers du Pré
www.playdeau.com