Monday's tides

doris

Visit site
Strap me.

With the 'large moon' combined with the equinox I thought there may be a bit of a belter shortly so I looked up the tides for Monday. Seems that at Chelsea Bridge we are down to 0.1 CD on Monday and Tues mornings. Some of the harbours, Portsmouth, Falmouth, etc will look back side of the moonish!!!!

Best you take a careful look out the window JJ

jamesjermain

Visit site
Strap me.

With the 'large moon' combined with the equinox I thought there may be a bit of a belter shortly so I looked up the tides for Monday. Seems that at Chelsea Bridge we are down to 0.1 CD on Monday and Tues mornings. Some of the harbours, Portsmouth, Falmouth, etc will look back side of the moonish!!!!

Best you take a careful look out the window JJ

Actually not predicted to be particularlyhigh or low in Plymouth - 5.8 and 0.2. In the past two years we have had two or three over 6.0 and we've been down to 0.0 twice.

Club lift-in day is Monday so we'll know exactly how high it gets.

colingr

Visit site
Lowest Astronomical not lowest possible is the point. Depends on wind directiona and air pressure as well so you can, albeit rarely, get lower than LAT.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
But isn't CD the lowest possible tide? So how can monday's tide be below that?

From Easytide:
Chart Datum is the plane below which all depths are published on a navigational chart. It is also the plane to which all tidal heights are referred, so by adding the tidal height to the charted depth, the true depth of water is determined. By international agreement Chart Datum is defined as a level so low that the tide will not frequently fall below it. In the United Kingdom, this level is normally approximately the level of Lowest Astronomical Tide.
So it can occasionally fall below it.

ianat182

Visit site
You may be interested to read that the Bay of Fundy in the areas of Newfoundland and Nova Scotia have a 16metre high tides, the highest in the world, so I wonder what this moon effect will have there yesterday/today /tomorrow.
I 'goggled' for 'Highest tides in world' for that .

ianat182

trapezeartist

www.littlehotels.co.uk
Yes, I believe the Bay of Fundy is about 1m bigger range that the Bristol Channel. Though I'm not sure which bit because I tried a few tide stations at random and found HW in the 7 - 13m range. I imagine the most extreme example must be a very local effect.