MOLDY CURTAINS

G

Can anyone help? I have a problem with mold on the curtains. We have tried just about everything in the kitchen cuboard but are still stuck with spoty cream curtains!

<hr width=100% size=1>

tom52

Visit site
There was a recent series of post about how good Dettox Mould and Mildew Remover was for this job.

The 'wiseones' said bleach diluted was just as good and was only a fraction of the cost. Diluted bleach sounded a bit extreme to me so I lashed out on the Dettox.

Its about £2 odd in Tescos worked a treat on my curtains when all else failed. It did exactly what it said on the tin ( plastic bottle ) which is always a pleasant surprise these days.

But be careful it does contain bleach and it does warn about use on material so test somewhere unobtrusive first.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

We took the curtains on our old etap 38 to the dry cleaner who got most of them out for a nominal fee!

pjb

<hr width=100% size=1>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Yes I started that post and got hammered! Glad you got the right results, I swear by the stuff.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Ken, It cannot be that Ive cut all the foam out to get the inner tubes in, looks nice, you should see it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tom52

Visit site
As you can see from my post I remembered the stick that you got.

Perhaps you were just too enthusiastic for the cynics.

I was grateful for the tip, it did the trick for me. I had never seen anything take black mould spots out of material without ruining it.

Belated thanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Rubber fetish

With all those inner tubes, have you consider Dunlop curtains for your boat. Waterproof, lightproof and mould proof. And they can be picked up in handy lengths on the hard shoulder of most motorways.

PS they can double as fenders if you find yourself parked next to a fishing boat.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ballena

Visit site
We had some mold problems, Starbrite have a mildew and mold remover in a spray bottle.

Worked really well, and the mold has not come back over the winter.

Give it a go, good luck
Paul R

<hr width=100% size=1>V8's rule!

pvb

Visit site
It\'s your money...

...and you should be allowed to spend it in any way you choose. However, almost all "Mildew Remover" products are solutions of common household bleach (sodium hypochlorite). Look carefully at the labels - if they say they contain sodium hypochlorite, you'll save a lot of money by buying ordinary cheap household bleach from Tesco.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Re: It\'s your money...

Thank you. to all who put me in the right direction for removing the mold from our curtains.
We did try the DETTOX product but not strong enough. As PVB suggests a lot of these products are based on bleach. So we put the curtains into a mixture of bleach and water, starting with the intructions on the bottle. After one night there was no improvement, so we gradually increased the 'dose', now together with a piece of coloured material as a 'tell tale'. After a couple of days/nights, the result we were looking for, nice clean cream curtains, just like new!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Dettox - works wonders

With a full complement of cotton curtains covered in mildew, we washed some in ordinary household bleach (diluted). results - still moldey - but not as bad.

We then tried Dettox - the results were briiliant - all the mold has gone.

Dettox must have something more than just household bleach.

<hr width=100% size=1>