mold again- sprayhood

saltyknot

Visit site
I've just been reading all the helpful suggestions re moldy curtains and am hoping someone will be able to come up with something brilliant for our sprayhood.

It was left on over the winter and now has very unsightly black mold spots pretty much all over the inside. The Dettox stuff mentioned sounds great, but obviously I can't put the offending article in the washing machine, if that's the necessary treatment. Could I scrub it with this and hose off afterwards?

Whatever is recommended, I'll have to bring it over from UK, for a scrubbing job on the pontoon of the Greek marina where I will meet up with the boat again in August.

Paul R mentioned Starbrite in a spray bottle, saying mold didn't return. What was it used on, and where can I get it, if suitable for my needs?

<hr width=100% size=1>

BarryH

Visit site
I removed mould from the kids lifejackets with a 50/50 mix of Milton and water. Worked a treat. The Starbright mould remover is good. Used it in the passed on some fabric coverings. I just use the milton now. Surely you can get Milton or its equivilent abroad. Its only baby bottle sterilizing fluid after all.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

peasea

Visit site
After you have got rid of the mould if you paint the outside of the hood with with Fabsil it will stop it in future.Fabsil from caravan shops is clear and is better painted on the hood than in aerosol form , however I spray internal fabric areas of the boat where it does reduce mildew

<hr width=100% size=1>

ericw

Visit site
Hi !

Just use normal household bleach and dilute well with warm water. This has worked well for me in the past and doesn't appear to have any drastic/noticeable effect on the fabric. Bleach is a hell of a lot cheaper than Milton and, as some of the old hands on these fora will know, Milton's active ingredient is v.similar to that in household bleach ! Hard to believe, I know, but as a search of other threads on this theme will show, true nonetheless !!

Happy scrubbing,

Eric.

<hr width=100% size=1>www.HarryHindsight.com

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Similar problem over the winter. Went to local car parts store and bought a two part cleaning/waterproofing kit for the hoods on convertible cars. Worked well, and still got enough left for a few more goes.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

pvb

Visit site
This is the stuff to use....

Get a bottle of Polycell 3-in-1 Mould Killer (about £5 a litre from B&Q). Wash the sprayhood with sudsy water first, to get the worst of the dirt off. Let it dry thoroughly. Then paint on the Polycell 3-in-1 Mould Killer liberally with a soft paintbrush, doing both sides of the canvas. Let it dry. A few days later, you should find it looks a lot better.

It's a colourless liquid. You can wipe any drips or splashes off the boat with a damp cloth, but it won't harm it. Best to wear rubber gloves and eye protection, of course.

Most mould and mildew products are basically bleach (including Milton!!). This Polycell product contains no bleach, but has a couple of powerful fungicidal ingredients which get rid of the mould. It also has a medium-term residual effect, so a treatment every 4-6 months should keep your sprayhood looking good.

<hr width=100% size=1>