Mobile phone email for cruising...????

annclough

www.moonlightadventure.co.uk
We are due to set off in June, heading for the Caribbean via the usual route + possibly the Cape Verde Islands, and there's a possibility we may go through Panama to the Pacific (but as this is my first Atlantic Crossing, not sure if I will have had enough by then!).

I'm trying to work out what mobile phone I should take with me, mainly to use for mobile to mobile calls between me and the bloke while travelling, occasional calls back to the UK, but mainly for texts and email (not internet access other than email retrieval).

I've read a little about oneroam and GYM sims, which may be good for the mobile to mobile and UK calls, but I'd still like to take a phone with me to keep my number and get emails.

I've spent far too long trawling the mobile company websites (when I should be packing things to go into storage!) and the costs seem quite hard to find and confusing so any experience / advice from cruisers would be very much appreciated.

andymcp

Visit site
I have found the blackberry type device very useful, it's designed around email really and you can get global roaming packages that include data separate from calls etc, so if you're not calling much you don't pay for wasted minutes. Another plus is that your roaming data can include web browsing, so there's no penalty if you do jump online as well (though sites can be pretty hit and miss on a wee screen).

annclough

www.moonlightadventure.co.uk
Thanks for the info, I am edging towards a Blackberry, do you know which networks do the global roaming packages with separate data as I can't find anything about this on the network websites, and every shop I've tried has been completely useless!

andymcp

Visit site
Most of the roaming tariffs appear as an add-on to the core phone plan, so you normally need to have thrown a phone and basic call plan tariff into your basket online before they appear. On O2 (only chose that because I'm a customer, this isn't a recommendation), they say:

BlackBerry Unlimited UK + Worldwide Roaming - £32.79 a month
You can send and receive as many emails as you want, enjoy unlimited web browsing and Yahoo! What's more, with the BlackBerry Worldwide Roaming included in the price, you can do all this abroad for less.

In my opinion, that's not too bad a rate for unlimited roaming on email and browsing? But I can only compare that to the ad-hoc roaming bills I get when I'm out and about on business so perhaps not the best comparison.