Mobile internet outside the UK

dancrane

Visit site
I haven't located or read the recent 'dongle' thread so this question may have been adequately covered, earlier.

I'll be in France soon, on the move and unable to rely on broadband from any single address. I was persuaded to buy a 'dongle' for UK use when I started my present internet contract, but I've never used it yet.

When I asked at phone shops here, how to receive mobile broadband abroad, I was told it's much cheaper not to rely on UK-issued equipment and 'roaming' agreements, but rather to buy a pay-as-I-go dongle, in France.

Has anyone any advice on what to choose, or be wary of? My French isn't equal to the task of complex explanation. I probably wouldn't understand the tech-speak, even in English!

I'm unlikely to be far from populated areas, if that makes a difference.

Evadne

Visit site
It is almost always cheaper to buy a PAYG dongle, or mobile phone for that matter in the country you are going to use it in. I would look up the words and phrases in a dictionary, write them down even, then walk into a phone shop with your laptop and go from there. If staying for many months I'd consider buying a cheap PAYG phone as well.

theotter

Visit site
I have just aquired an O2 dongle and see it is usable abroad but I take note of the comments regarding expense. However, I bought mine off a Dutchman who found his Dutch debit card was not accepted for pre loading the money while in the UK. Just a word of caution but could this be the same for a Brit in France! Overall I am rather disappointed with its performance.

maxi77

Visit site
Using a UK dongle overseas is expensive, and topping up can be problematic if you end up in a spot with poor coverage as well as I found out.

Last year when we transited France local dongles seemed pricey for a 1 month passage, I was prepared to pay up to 40 euros but could find nothing less than 60, though some had a 30 euro rebate to a frog address. There seem to be suggestions this year that they are getting cheaper. Netabord wifi is not too bad and available in many places along the chanel though an amplifying antenna would help. Some places have free or almopst free wifi and others will point you to a bar with free wifi. We only found two places where we got no wifi at all.