MOB

upstream

Visit site
I followed a tonky yacht the other day with more MOB equipment one could shake a stick at, mounted on, above and around the transom. There appeared to be at least 2 of everything. How much equipment is realy needed? I should think that once this lot had been deployed, launched, and otherwise chucked in the water, and not forgetting to press MOB on the GPS the plot may have been lost.
My experience in MOB was the not the difficulty in locating the victim or getting a line to him but in getting him aboad.
Learning from that, I have invested in a pully system which can be attached to the boom, making sure the up haul is strong enough to take the weight. This at least gave the required assistance to aid the MOB in helping himself up the transom mounted ladder. Assuming that is they are into a bit of self help. Difficult I know when wet, cold, overweight and twice the size due to inflated life jacket.

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Have you tested it? We have carried a similar system for years, tried it last year on a nice sunny, still day and it took about two hours before we had it set up so that it came anywhere near being effective. I could winch Jill up, but she weighs less than 9 stone. She couldn't winch me up. and I'm not very heavy.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
reports i have seen concurr
i think key is to have crotch straps on the (self inflating) life jacket so you can pull them in

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

upstream

Visit site
Yes we tried it. To be fair I doubt if anybody could lift a dead weight ( pardon the expression) It did require the help of the MOB. The problem we found was having got the MOB to the transom, he couldn't lift his own weight given that the lifejacket was inflated, and he was full of water. The steps do not go down to far, so getting a foot on and having enough strength to make the first lift was a problem. A 4-1 purchase at least provided the additional support to take the weight.
It takes me 5 mins to rig it up by just snapping it onto the boom end fitting.
Another problem is I need tons of line to made it to the winches, I don't have so I use an old main sheet jammer to lock the line. I know this doesn't help with the actual lift but at least any ground made is not lost.

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We were using the mainsheet with a strop with the intention of hauling the casualty directly into the cockpit from the side, in case of heavy seas. Casualty was playing no part at all except for leaving arms down to retain the strop.

Our mainsheet is 6:1 and we have very big winches. I wouldn't have believed that I would struggle to lift Jill with this arrangement, after all I can pick her up without too much effort, but it was a real test. The friction of all the blocks plus a snatch block to keep the lead fair seemed to be too much.

For my next attempt I am going to try inverting the mainsheet so as to have the cleat at the top and not bother with the winch. Needs another snaplink on the main blocks first.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jamesjermain

Visit site
I would suggest:
2 lifebuoys, one attached to a Danbuoy with light and flag. Lifebuoys fitted with whistles and drogues and marked with boat's name.
1 Liferaft on quick release mounting
1 heaving line

There is a case for adding to this a white flare in a waterproof container and the transponder for a personal EPIRB
1 manoverboard recovery device such as the Tribuckle

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

claymore

Visit site
A tribuckle wouldn't be much use for me as the freeboard is so great I'd be knackered trying to hoist Dear Heart aboard and I'd be completely knackered if she was trying to get me back!
The dinghy is in davits and plan A is that we drop that down and then take things from there. No doubt we will also deploy the curvaceous fenderstep!

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

upstream

Visit site
Thanks chaps for all the advice, I have arrived at at what I think is a sensible solution.......I shall aquire at least 5 fendersteps and useing the third hole contect the whole lot together. The aerogen which is currently powering the freezer, telly, hi fi and other hi tech equipment not to mention the hot tub heater, shall power the windlass. With some minor work the fendersteps will work as as escellator (check spelling) The MOB can now return to the safety of the cockpit via the escellator, standing on the right of course!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

DeeGee

Visit site
For anyone with an electric windlass fitted with a warping drum... it would be worth looking at a long warp (say around boat length plus another x metres) and a snatch-block around about the point where the kicker is attached to the boom. Either a proprietary sling or the MOB attaches to his lifejacket.

I must say I haven't tried this, as have an electric windlass, but it is waiting for a nice day to fit. I have seen warping drums used to haul someone up the mast, and a fine way to go, it is!!

<hr width=100% size=1>Black Sugar - the sweetest of all