Mister Vane Experiences?

KenMcCulloch

Visit site
Hi, not planning on joining the next JC voyage but thought there may be people on here who can advise. I am thinking about windvane steering for my Folkboat and wondered if anyone had experience of using a MisterVane system they would care to share?

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I notice no-one has replied to you Ken. In my view it may be that no-one has anything positive to say.

For instance CPD or Centaur Pipedream as he used to be has replied to another thread with:

[ QUOTE ]
I got to the Azores and back with pretty much tiller pilots all the way and running the engine perhaps every other day to top up the battery. Perfectly feasible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pipedream had a Mr Vane steering system I believe. Mr Vane seems to be a work in development great concept but doesn't seem to perform as well as some of the established brands. For instance I love my Windpilot Pacific Light [German] as she never lets me down and has proved herself in all situations except no wind at all. But they are probably getting a bit expensive now with the Euro rising against the pound but then so is Mr Vane coming out of the Netherlands.

CPD

Visit site
I found, during prep trips and JAC08 that I spent too much time with my head over the stern fiddling and worrying that I moved to the fall-back plan of tiller pilots. Mr.Vane is a great idea but I couldn't apply the same comments that John and others made of their systems to mine. Certainly my system would need fairly substantial "beefing up" before I would consider another similar trip using it as the only means of self steering.

To be fair however I do know that Mr.Vane has produced an updated model (mine was a development model) and I can't comment on the update.

CPD

Visit site
My Mr.Vane sits on the back of Pipedream and will be removed prior to her (Pipedream's) impending sale. If there is an offer in the air then feel free to pm.

Noddy

Visit site
You can call it vane if you want, but I think that some pale lipstick and some light eye make up can look good on a guy!

......that was too weird wasn't it?