Methana Greece Marina

Twhitt

Visit site
Does anybody hace contact details for the marina at Methana in the Saronic Gulf Greece?

Email, website or contact number appreciated.

Thanks

jacaldo

Visit site
We were there July, tried to go into the inner marina, it didn't take long before we were told to get out and use the ferry quay.

Twhitt

Visit site
Yes we have been on the quayside before. Think the marina is very much for long term moorings, which is what we are looking for.

Currently in Sardinia, but coming to Greece next summer :)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Yes we have been on the quayside before. Think the marina is very much for long term moorings, which is what we are looking for.

Currently in Sardinia, but coming to Greece next summer :)

To be honest, I doubt you get a place there . Might be better to try Algine or the boat yard at Poros

Twhitt

Visit site
I can fix you up with long term moorings in Poros.
And if you cross the lady's hand with gold .can get a space in Methana

Anywhere sheltered around the Saronic or Argolic would be good. Winter in sheltered marina / port, or out on hardstanding

jacaldo

Visit site
Hi
Is that long term in Poros on a buoy? Is this possible for crew changes through the season? would the mooring be available at anytime?
Sorry for the slight thread drift.

Twhitt

Visit site
We have a 12m with 2.02m draft, would Methana be deep enough? Really looking for winter, as summer we will be sailing?

Twhitt

Visit site
There lies the problem, they give first choice to 12 months contract.
Hundreds of people want short term.

I want long term, plan on leaving ongoing, so 12 month marina, or combination of winter storage plus summer mooring. We could get away with just winter storage, then a combination of anchoring and maybe a buoy for July August, but more than happy for 12 month berth.

If I could get a marina or quayside berth allocated for full 12 months then all would be good.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
I think you might misunderstand the Greek interpretation of marina. Yes, there’s a yacht basin in Methana, yes, it may label itself a marina, yes, you might get a berth there if you’re lucky but that’s it. And generally speaking, leave the berth, loose the berth unless you’ve managed to persuade the local harbour fees collector to keep it open for you.... No services, no marinero, no laid mooring lines. If you want what we tend to recognise as a marina, you’ll need to head to somewhere like Athens or look to putting the boat ashore in a yard over winter. There’s lots of places in the Saronic area, most easily accessible from Athens airport either by ferry or bus (or taxi if you’ve got deeper pockets).

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I wouldn't be looking at leaving a boat at Methana in the first place , but that's me .
Don't know what Bob mooring are like , but that may be a option if there someone who going to keep an eye on the boat, but do ask your insurance company first , I know a few who won't cove a boat on a buoy over winter ,
As Duncan said there marinas around Athens , but you do need deep pockets and that if you can find a place .
These marina which have super yachts and charter contract are at best not very help full .
We just contract every marina on the Athens coast to let us use a berth just a short time to collect a sail , everyone said there fully booked , oh dear there goes anyone flying pig .

Tony Cross

Visit site
I think you might misunderstand the Greek interpretation of marina. Yes, there’s a yacht basin in Methana, yes, it may label itself a marina, yes, you might get a berth there if you’re lucky but that’s it. And generally speaking, leave the berth, loose the berth unless you’ve managed to persuade the local harbour fees collector to keep it open for you.... No services, no marinero, no laid mooring lines. If you want what we tend to recognise as a marina, you’ll need to head to somewhere like Athens or look to putting the boat ashore in a yard over winter. There’s lots of places in the Saronic area, most easily accessible from Athens airport either by ferry or bus (or taxi if you’ve got deeper pockets).

This came about a year of two ago when Greece changed the way we pay to use ports. Those (small boat) ports that are managed by the local authority are supposed to charge a standard rate, but if the local authority leased the management of the (small boat) port to a third party it's called a marina. The lessee can charge what they think the market will stand and they're not obliged to provide any additional facilities either. That was probably a mistake in the way the law was drafted, but that's how it is. :)

OldBawley

Visit site
As to “Marina” in Greece.

Last month I sailed into Lavrio. The reason, I want to have a new sail made and had read in the web that Lavrio had a sailmaker.

Town quay was almost empty, moored bowsprit to quay, and went the following morning to pay the harbour dues. No sailmaker I could talk to, could as well sail to Porto Rafti.

As I expected, the fee was about three times what I normally pay in Poros. No problem there but I felt like getting rid off all frustrations from last month. The wife was flying to Athens in a week so I had to be completely stress free by the time she arrived.
I paid the berthing fee, then asked polite but quite loud why the mooring fee was three times the Poros fee. Lots of people sitting around in that harbour office, the sound level went from normal to zero. Could here a pin drop. Was the extra money to combat the many cockroaches I had seen lying around or was it for the pleasure of mooring in an industrial harbour ?
The lady turned very red faced, and went to get a paper that explained the Lavrio harbour could ask whatever they wanted. Cant say I was very interested, cant read Greek anyway.
I was about to ask her to translate the paper but the big office was filling with people working in the office next door, everyone wanted to see the action. I decided the extra 10 € ware already accounted for and left with a greeting and a smile to all.

I walked to my boat and two young guys ware cleaning the rental boat next to me. Cleaning as in spraying some water and making a nice roll of the mooring ropes. As I was planning to leave, I untied the lee bow mooring rope, had the windward bow mooring in a loop. While preparing to leave, one of the guys, dressed as a sailor, ( you know Camel suit and hat ) told me I had to leave the berth and find me an other one. He explained to me the weekend arrived, he expected lot of boats, so I had to leave the berth.
W hitch I was already doing. Nice clothes and he sure as hell could hose a boat down but he had no idea I was preparing to leave.
Just to have a bit of fun, I told the boy I came strait from the harbour office where I had paid ( true ) and who he was to tell me to find an other berth.
He than began an argument, saying that all the town quay was rented to rental firms, no free places.
So while putting our towed dinghy on the windward side I told the guy he could go to the harbour office and ask where I could moor for my money.
He left for the office, I started the engine, dropped the landlines, put the engine in reverse and letting go the windward bowline the boat about jumped out of that berth giving our 3 meter bowsprit no chance to scratch the lee yacht.
While standing on the bow, collecting the bowline, I noticed the second water hoser, having a weird grin on his face. Waved him good by.

O, the sail maker. On the Lavrio quay stands an office container. The person inside did not speak any European language except for Greek and I am pretty sure he was not a sail maker.

Greece is the last of the wild west. Cowboy country. That is why I like it.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
As to “Marina” in Greece.

Last month I sailed into Lavrio. The reason, I want to have a new sail made and had read in the web that Lavrio had a sailmaker.

Town quay was almost empty, moored bowsprit to quay, and went the following morning to pay the harbour dues. No sailmaker I could talk to, could as well sail to Porto Rafti.

As I expected, the fee was about three times what I normally pay in Poros. No problem there but I felt like getting rid off all frustrations from last month. The wife was flying to Athens in a week so I had to be completely stress free by the time she arrived.
I paid the berthing fee, then asked polite but quite loud why the mooring fee was three times the Poros fee. Lots of people sitting around in that harbour office, the sound level went from normal to zero. Could here a pin drop. Was the extra money to combat the many cockroaches I had seen lying around or was it for the pleasure of mooring in an industrial harbour ?
The lady turned very red faced, and went to get a paper that explained the Lavrio harbour could ask whatever they wanted. Cant say I was very interested, cant read Greek anyway.
I was about to ask her to translate the paper but the big office was filling with people working in the office next door, everyone wanted to see the action. I decided the extra 10 € ware already accounted for and left with a greeting and a smile to all.

I walked to my boat and two young guys ware cleaning the rental boat next to me. Cleaning as in spraying some water and making a nice roll of the mooring ropes. As I was planning to leave, I untied the lee bow mooring rope, had the windward bow mooring in a loop. While preparing to leave, one of the guys, dressed as a sailor, ( you know Camel suit and hat ) told me I had to leave the berth and find me an other one. He explained to me the weekend arrived, he expected lot of boats, so I had to leave the berth.
W hitch I was already doing. Nice clothes and he sure as hell could hose a boat down but he had no idea I was preparing to leave.
Just to have a bit of fun, I told the boy I came strait from the harbour office where I had paid ( true ) and who he was to tell me to find an other berth.
He than began an argument, saying that all the town quay was rented to rental firms, no free places.
So while putting our towed dinghy on the windward side I told the guy he could go to the harbour office and ask where I could moor for my money.
He left for the office, I started the engine, dropped the landlines, put the engine in reverse and letting go the windward bowline the boat about jumped out of that berth giving our 3 meter bowsprit no chance to scratch the lee yacht.
While standing on the bow, collecting the bowline, I noticed the second water hoser, having a weird grin on his face. Waved him good by.

O, the sail maker. On the Lavrio quay stands an office container. The person inside did not speak any European language except for Greek and I am pretty sure he was not a sail maker.

Greece is the last of the wild west. Cowboy country. That is why I like it.
If your still looking for a sail maker , PM me , I got so,e one in Athens who not only good but as a good price to go with it , it's a well known company by the way with places in the U.K. , sails made locally .