messing about on the thames

tjfmmaes

Visit site
I was wondering whether anyone could help me out. My wedding anniversary is coming up (1 June) and I'd like to take my wife out for a picnic. Since we both like a) boats and b) the Thames around the Richmond area, I thought it would be a nice idea to rent a boat for a day. This could be anything with an engine really (not too fond of rowing against the tide & current which would invariably occur at the end of the day), a dinghy with outboard, a day/cabin cruiser etc. I have spent some time looking around and I cannot seem to find anyone who rents out this kind of thing. All I can find are either narrow-boats or rowing boats, which doesn't quite fit the bill. Does anyone know who might rent out these things around the Richmond area?

All help greatly appreciated.

<hr width=100% size=1>

townquay

Visit site
My business partner gave his missus a special treat on an anniversary by contacting one of the big hire companies (they are in the Hoseasons Brochure at the travel agents and also advertise in Saturday newspapers). He hired one of those luxury cabin cruisers for the day (off the main season of course) at quite a reasonable price.

<hr width=100% size=1>

cfrew

Visit site
The upper reaches of the Thames also have much to offer.
There is Henley, home of the famous regatta (the first week in July), there are rowing/motor boats for hire and river buses that will take you up and down this beautiful stretch of the river.
Windsor is also a favourite. You have the Castle and town itself, but there are also river trips and rowing boats availible.
Finally there is Marlow also a lovely town, home of Sir Steve Redgrave and boasting the Compleat Angler (A Place to be seen on the river - very expensive riverside hotel).

<hr width=100% size=1>

pugwash

Visit site
Skiff ?

What about an old-fashioned skiff with a padded seat at the stern on which she can recline under a parasol while reading Wordsworth aloud? Yes, you have to bend your back to the sculls but from Richmond you don't have to go far at all either upstream or downstream to come to a quiet spot, and the current shouldn't be very strong in June. These boats are rented (by prior arrangement) from the little boathouse just upstream from the bridge, south bank. I live down the river a mile or so and I don't know of any motor boats rented on the tidal stretch. Further upstream than Richmond you might have better luck. There's an organisation c alled the River Thames Preservation Society, or similar, which you could track down on the net, and would probably help.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Forbsie

Visit site
Re: Skiff ?

I posted this on mobochat but it could be taken in conjuction with your suggestion.

I'm afraid that I've never heard of anyone either but here's a suggestion. Phone Mark Edwards at Bridge Boathouses in Richmond on 020 8948 8270 and ask him if he knows anyone. If yes or no, ask him if you can moor anything you get on his barge while you have lunch/dinner/wine at H<font size=1>2</font size=1>O which is a great little boat/restaurant moored alongside. Mark also rents out skiffs.

Whatever you do, have a great day!!

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>