Mercury Outboard 2hp

Cotillion

Visit site
The pull chord has become very stiff on the first couple of attempts at starting and then normal.

At first I thought the engine had seized but a long slow pull seems to free it and it then starts and runs perfectly..

Any of you mechanical types out there have a clue what's occurring.

The engine is 23 years old so probably on its last legs but I'm hoping to get another couple of years out of it if I can.

QBhoy

Visit site
id take the plug out her and check for signs of water. She may be getting hydro locked, from a compromised head or corroded through scenario.

Kelpie

Visit site
23 is nothing.
There was a guy on the radio net yesterday looking for a part for his 1943 Evinrude.

Beneteau381

Visit site
The pull chord has become very stiff on the first couple of attempts at starting and then normal.

At first I thought the engine had seized but a long slow pull seems to free it and it then starts and runs perfectly..

Any of you mechanical types out there have a clue what's occurring.

The engine is 23 years old so probably on its last legs but I'm hoping to get another couple of years out of it if I can.
Salts build up around the drive shaft area where it comes out of the engine and is bathed in hot salt water and exhaust gases. The shaft then binds on it and causes your symptoms.