Mercruiser, VM 4.2

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Any body have a recommendation of where to get , borrow , rent, hire a code reader for a 1999 version of the above engine? even a home brew circuit diag would be an option.

engine showing a mil light, (flashing tick) on dashboard.

my mate is wishing there was an equivalent VM guy to volvo paul

Many thanks.

QBhoy

Visit site
http://download.brunswick-marine.com/filereader/file/pdf/4/enen/mercury diesel/2017/sterndrive/8m0133678.pdf

Hope this helps. I can strongly recommend that you buy a vessel view mobile device. Around the £220 mark. Will display all faults and descriptions of them on your phone or tablet. As well as all pressures and temps from the ecu. Fuel data, range, etc etc etc. amazing bit of kit. Will almost certainly tell you on screen, what your fault is. Allow you to inhibit or block it too (not that I recommend it), fault seriousness dependant obviously

DAKA

Visit site
1999 was very basic Technology
you just need an led , 9v battery and a couple of pins
google mercruiser Blink tester and you can make one from stuff you have on board.
count the blinks and look up the fault code.

QBhoy

Visit site
google mercruiser Blink tester and you can make one from stuff you have on board.
Ah. Fair point. Ignore my earlier comment about smart craft. Won’t be compatible at that age.

david_bagshaw

Visit site
I have googled it and have found nothing as to how on the 4 pin socket, there is info for a later petrol engine for the method you suggest, but nowt for the 4 pin one., but can you give a lead....

Many thanks.