Medway clean up.

oldgit

Visit site
Just a word of appreciation to all the EA mob* /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifwho got involved with the tidy up of the river bank.
My trip with Unit618 from Yalding last month was only marred by the unpleasant amount of plastic rubbish(mainly supermarket bags and water bottles) entangled in the vegetation along the river bank.Many times have I picked up cans/bags from the riverbank when moored because they looked so unslightly.
Have to say that I doubt boaters are responsible as from previous observations 99% of rubbish appears to remain behind in the small area surrounding fishing spots.
My suspician is that it is not hobby fishermen,but oiks
A3_550.jpg

out for a days larking about/fishing that are responsible.
Why the Medway ?,on my trip down the Thames a week later the absence of rubbish(well nearly absent) was noticable.
Are Thames users really such a conscientious anti-litter bunch of or does undercover regular rubbish recovery take place ?.

*and presumably others.

Allington Lock website.

ADLS

Visit site
A lot of the rubbish is wind blown from towns etc and end up in the river, it then gets swept along with the flow and the up and down with the tide.

Kelly from Beacon Boat Yard down river fron the M2 bridge helped organise a clean up of marsh land down river from her fathers boat yard back in 2005. The local council provided gloves and bags for the rubbish plus tong and 'sharps' containers for the more unpleasant throw aways!!!! several skips loads were of rubbish were carted away.

When ever I moor up I tidy up around the mooring to make my stay a little more enjoyable. Maybe we should take a leaf from your book and tidy up the river, every little effort will help.

oldgit

Visit site
Had a moan about this to a chum who has a house by the river at Burham and frequently walks his hound along the river bank,his main whinge was the sheer number of plastic drink bottles wedged in the reeds and all along the sea wall.The Thing is how come the Thames is not affected to anything like the same extent.