Med, qualifications, certificates?

Visit site
Hi, I have an Australian recreational boating licence. Good for any recreational boat over here. I also have ICC for a ten metre powerboat. Would I need anything else for use on the Med/Europe? Neither is specifically for sailing boats but I'm considering chartering for a month or two next year on your side of the world. Have done a fair bit of sailing over the years and we would have no problems with a modestly rigged sailing mono, or even catamaran. Definitely not risk takers on the water. ie, would definitely not be pushing any boundaries with regard to weather and conditions
Thanks for any input in advance.
Cheers John.

Tranona

Visit site
In theory the powerboat ICC would not be acceptable for a sailing boat charter, but apart from Croatia which is very strict on qualifications, the "rules" are variably enforced or ambiguous both from country to country and even within countries as it is usually left to local officials to implement. To be certain of no problems, you really need a sailing boat ICC. In the UK with the sort of experience you have, it is easy to get with either just a test or more usually a bit of refresher tuition and then the test.

However, as Rotrax suggests you can check with a few charter operators first as often they know more about what officials will accept. It is best, though to be safe as the last thing you want is to travel half way round trhe world and have hassle even before you start your holiday.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
As has been said, you'd need to check with the charter companies about just what they need for a particular charter. Varies too much from place to place within a country, let alone from country to country.

Just a point, I think that the RYA can only issue an ICC to UK nationals or to overseas individuals who can prove UK residence (usually by a utility bill, bank statement or similar), so if you want to convert to a sail and power ICC you need to do it before leaving for Europe.

Visit site
Cool, Thanks guys. I'll throw out a few enquiries to a coupla charter groups. Have a mate here who said he chartered a sailing boat, mono I believe, over there years ago (probably the case then, possibly not so now.) Without any problems just on his mobo licence. Early days yet so research to be done. My ICC was obtained over here in conjunction with some international agreement or other. Anyone know of any undergroundish schemes whereby individuals "loan" boats to friends, for a "fee" that does not really exist? Someone must need pocket money and not need their boat all year round?
Just sayin' :rolleyes:

Cheers John.

Tranona

Visit site
"Years ago" things were more relaxed. The explosion of growth in the last 10 years or so plus "mission creep" on the bureaucracy front have changed things.

Keep clear of any "underground" arrangements. As you can imagine chartering is big business in the hot spots and authorities are hard on anybody chartering illegally. Equally, few owners of decent boats would take the risk, both from officialdom and to their boat for relatively small returns.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Could you not get your ICC for ten metre power boat converted to sail boat from who issued the power boat ICC by using your Australian recreational boating licence.

Tranona

Visit site
Could you not get your ICC for ten metre power boat converted to sail boat from who issued the power boat ICC by using your Australian recreational boating licence.

ICCs are issued by governments on the basis (mainly) of existing qualifications. In many cases they delegate this to the bodies that examine for the original qualification. In the UK for example, this is the RYA for yachts.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
ICCs are issued by governments on the basis (mainly) of existing qualifications. In many cases they delegate this to the bodies that examine for the original qualification. In the UK for example, this is the RYA for yachts.

Yes you are correct in South Africa the government department is SAMSA (South African maritime safety authority) who assigned SAS (South African Sailing) to test and issue skipper tickets for pleasure craft only and will also issue ICC based on the SAS ticket as an agent to SAMSA.

I was saying the a similar arrangement may be available in Australia for the OP

Visit site
Thanks for you comments guys. To be honest I don't know that I can be arsed buggering about with that. Might just go and do it in a mobo and play in the canals/rivers for a while instead.