med cruising budget

lurob

Visit site
How long is a piece of string? I would be intereseted in views on cruising budgets for living in the med. Only v. occasional marina berthing, mostly eating aboard lifestyle, minus major repairs. I appreciate that how much one spends, and what each person considers as essentials or luxuries, is a v. personal and individual matter, but it will at least give me food for thought and future planning.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mikewilkes

Visit site
Its been commented on many times so try doing a search for cruising costs. Sorry cant remember the date of the last lot. What i can gather is it varies from about the equivalent of 1,000 pa upwards. This is through talking to people where we are at the moment in Barcelona. Was keeping details of our costings until three days ago when the bl***y laptop operating system died on me. We started keeping costs in a bad month as we took her out of the water to sandblast both her bottoms, no not the wife's the boat!!!
My advice is dont keep thinking about it just do it cos the moray coast is an awful lot colder.
Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

FerrymanR

Visit site
Did you read the article in April YM earlier this year. It gave some breakdowns on costs and estimated about £100 per week. Very variable on where you are - mainland cheaper than islands, Gibralter more expensive on everything bar diesel etc. If you haven't already read it I recommend you do so as a start.
Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>

happychap

Visit site
Cannot speak for the Med, but for Barcelona coast and Majorca since April 03.
It's very variable but during the summer months allow 25euros /night in a berth (varied so far from 17 to 38 in may/june)
Navtex reception is very variable in Barcelona coast and Majorca. Pilot book times for weather forecasts are not too bad but somtimes only in Spanish, so for a beginner it makes the need for berthing a difficult choice. Food in restaurants is also variable but not much cheaper than Scotland, it's the extras that add up, some include 8% vat and 1.5euro cover, others don't.
We've just started cruising, complete novices in that department, and it's not been cheap say 2000 +euros/month.ignoring our holiday attitude
We're back home at the moment and we're going back. Allow a decent lump for settling in. Supermarket prices are generally cheaper but not the huge amount it was say 2 years ago.

Happychap

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
The introduction of the euro has made meddy cruising considerably more expensive than it was. Marinas are to be avoided like the plague, during the summer, but in the ballearics at least anchoring is fine. I would say by eating aboard and buying at the markets, Lidls' etc and what the locals eat, you should be able to live comfortably on less than £100 a week, food, booze, water, gas (cheap) and the occasional (once a week) meal ashore. Go for it! One thing I will say, four of us can have a roast chicken, all the trimmings for £5, the lot! and still have enough chicken left over, for salad/soup/sarnies, the next day. But you do have to shop sensibly.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Neraida

www.neraida.org.uk
If you can in Greece, get as much food possible from supermarkets/markets in a town before you set off. Mini-markets etc in villages and small towns are much more expensive and the food will be less fresh.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Metabarca

Visit site
ditto Croatia: food is not cheap in the little shops, and in even in towns costs more than in Italy.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.comoy.com/saillinks.html>http://www.comoy.com/saillinks.html</A>

ccscott49

Visit site
That cost a little more, but what the hell! Lifes for the living! Good fun was had by all, until I fell on the barbie and almost killed myself, bloody passarelle moved!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
No!!! what would make you think that?? Always was suspect, that bloody thing! Daring modifications are afoot! With better wheels for a start! And a rethink of it's mounting point. If it had stayed still, instead of wobbling at the same time as I was, things would have been fine, the barbie survived un-scathed, good barbies those force ten, expensive, but good!

<hr width=100% size=1>

mikewilkes

Visit site
You are obviously at work at the moment replying at this time. I may be off line for a while until I sort my laptop cos I am on the way back to Port Vell today.
Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
I'm on the rig, but will be back in Alcudia on the 27th, then doing some cruisin' as they say!! Hope to run into you somewhere, I'll let you know the next spot for the barbie!! By the way, I will be wintering in Alghero, along with my brother, which should be fun!! Take care on the way home!
Colin.

<hr width=100% size=1>