Med back to uk via the French canals with 2m draft

nevpittman

Visit site
Hi, I know this topic has been done to death a bit, but has anyone recently transited the French canal system from med to the channel? Or vice versa.
I am after any recent information on the depths of the canals as I draw 2m and would like to do this next year in my 45ft ketch. I would plan to remove the masts at port St Louis and ship them by road. And keep all tankage to a minimum to reduce draft.
I realise that 1.8m is the max draft in the central canals but I read somewhere about someone who was planning on doing this in a 2m draft boat a few years ago and was talking about strapping some inflatable sponsons to his hull to reduce draft in the shallower canals.
Has this ever been done? And is this practical to do as it does seem to be a neat solution if it is possible.

Wansworth

Visit site
Go outside…..on a seaworthy 45footer atripround the Iberian peninsular would be totally manageable,even having to motor some bits.Late summer as the northerlies change to southwest it’s not allégales and with todays forecasting and availability of shelter is the logical route .

Last edited:

Sea Change

Visit site
No direct experience but friends hit the bottom several times on their Prout... we ruled out doing it with our ~1.7m (seawater) draft... I'd be amazed if 2m was possible.

nevpittman

Visit site
Yes I will sail back around the outside if the canals are not possible. I sailed down that way and was a good trip.
However, my wife does not like, or do, the offshore passages. And even short inshore day sails are a bit of a struggle unless the weather is just right for her.
That’s why I was exploring the canal route so she could come with me all the way. And also as it looks quite an experience to do it.

Wansworth

Visit site
Yes I will sail back around the outside if the canals are not possible. I sailed down that way and was a good trip.
However, my wife does not like, or do, the offshore passages. And even short inshore day sails are a bit of a struggle unless the weather is just right for her.
That’s why I was exploring the canal route so she could come with me all the way. And also as it looks quite an experience to do it.
She could join you once upon the Galician rias,daysailing up toa Coruna or even to Vivero

Arcady

Visit site
Don’t forget your draft will increase in fresh water. We transited the ‘Midi some years ago with what was usually a 1.4m draft. We grounded in one lock and lifted off again at 1.47 m.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Briefly considered it (move from Brittany to the Med).
Quickly discarded the idea (36' boat - draws 2m).

Shipped her on a lorry.
If you're not pressed for time and you can afford to wait till your transporter has a return cargo, it becomes quite affordable.