MDL strike again!

Dazedkipper

Visit site
Woolverstone, £11 for just picking up a mooring for an hour or so while I had dinner. The boatman, who by his attitude is probably a bouncer in the evenings, came alongside and asked if I was stopping (I assumed he was RHYC as the mooring was directly opposite the club). When I told him I wasn't but just having dinner he said it didn't matter as it was chargeable as soon as the mooring is picked up. So I stayed!
It left a bad taste tbh, what's happened to the local custom and practice of free moorings for visitors?
I asked what I got for my 11 quid and he said, very generously, that I got the mooring oh and I could go ashore and use the showers.
No doubt there are those who support this money grabbing approach, citing the cost to provide the mooring but, the mooring is only free because either the resident is away or it's not let for the season. My own mooring is free while I'm away and I'm sure it's used by visitors, without charge, which is how it should be.

nauticalnomad

Visit site
I once took my tender upto the haven marina to get something from the chandlery.
The ex harbour master that ran the place was trying to charge me 5 pounds for stopping in a 12ft dinghy.
I said id be 2 seconds as id run past him and into the chandlery and left him at the boat with the outboard ticking away. Came back and hopped in and took off saying "See ya"..
Id of thought he would of wanted the custom. Its not like i was berthing there or taking up space. I was running in to purchase something from the chandlery onsite.

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
I understand that mooring users now have to pay £10 each way to be taken out to their boats! It was included in the annual fee until this year.
I'm afraid the extras that MDL always slide in would always stop me using them unless I had to.

sailorman

Visit site
Woolverstone, £11 for just picking up a mooring for an hour or so while I had dinner. The boatman, who by his attitude is probably a bouncer in the evenings, came alongside and asked if I was stopping (I assumed he was RHYC as the mooring was directly opposite the club). When I told him I wasn't but just having dinner he said it didn't matter as it was chargeable as soon as the mooring is picked up. So I stayed!
It left a bad taste tbh, what's happened to the local custom and practice of free moorings for visitors?
I asked what I got for my 11 quid and he said, very generously, that I got the mooring oh and I could go ashore and use the showers.
No doubt there are those who support this money grabbing approach, citing the cost to provide the mooring but, the mooring is only free because either the resident is away or it's not let for the season. My own mooring is free while I'm away and I'm sure it's used by visitors, without charge, which is how it should be.
was a receipt given

Stork_III

Visit site
Interesting. The MDL website doesn't list charges for visitors on swinging moorings.

They do quote water taxi at £42 per trip!!!!!!!!!!!!

They don't quote annual pontoon charges but their monthly rates , and daily rate don't compare favourably with those at Shotley ot SYH.

Poecheng

Visit site
Not sure it was correct; the WMYC website says the break point is 33ft, not 35ft.
I think you are right and what I originally wrote before deleting.
Chucked the receipts out now so didn't want to quibble over 2' :)
£10 for our 29' and that is what the OP has according to his profile.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
No it doesn't. WM is charged overnight, £10 up to 35 ft, £15 above.

I'd inferred from the OP that the charge was the same regardless of how long the buoy was used for, so if £11 is considered unduly high then £10 is hardly a bargain.

Regarding an earlier post on trot boat charges for MDL mooring users, I checked this evening and there is no charge being levied for those on the yearly package.

maby

Visit site
Most of the MDL services including WiFi and moorings are free to MDL residents. We've spent the entire summer hopping between MDL marinas along the south coast and haven't been charged a penny.