MD1B Dying at last?

porth

web.mac.com
I've spent far too much time this winter trying to coax another season or two out of my 28 year old Volvo Penta MD1B. Nothing major, just cleaned the deisel system and injector, changed the impeller, hoses and clips, changed all the filters. (OK, it was major for me...). Result, the engine went fine a few times but is now dead as a doornail. The oil is milky white, which I take to mean water in the system, a problem I did not have before I changed the impeller. I pulled the shaft all the way out which I have not done before; mistake?! Water did come out of the exhaust while the engine was running, although I did notice a film of oil once as well.

Suggestions on a postcard please....

<hr width=100% size=1>

maris

Visit site
When changing the impeller it is important to make sure the Orings are properly fitted in their seats. You may have overlooked this, or they may need replacing. If they dont seal properly oil can make its way through to the water system as the oil pressure is greater than the pressure in the pump. I would suggest removing the pump again to have a look at the Orings.

Good luck

Donnie

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
I agree with that diagnosis. Check also that the drip hole is clear.

An MD1B is only dead when it loses compression due to cylinder wear or busts its crankshaft!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
In the water pump casing. There is, obviously, a water side seal and an oil side seal. Since the water side seal is more likely to fail, as a safety device there is a little hole on the underneath which lets any water that gets past the water seal drip away rather than enter the oil seal. Use a matchstick or a cocktail stick to clear it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

porth

web.mac.com
Thanks again; obvious to you maybe, but its the first I've heard of it! I'll get down there with a matchstick tomorrow evening.

<hr width=100% size=1>