MD11C Starter wiring

barryassheton

Visit site
Hi, We have to re-wire our engine as when we bought it, it had no wires other than the instrument panel. I have been able to follow most of the wiring diagram in the manual but the starter is giving me some trouble and I need to make sure I am right as to where each wire goes. Our original starter was knackered so we got one from an md7 the rotation and everyhing else is identical, apart from the solenoid which has 4 posts instead of the 3 on the old one. Now I guess the bottom threaded post is just for the starter and the top is for the battery, and too the alternator, I am I right in guessing the one on the right is for the ignition. Now the one on the left I have read is a negative but I thought the negative went through the casing. I am I right on this and if not can someone please correct me.

Thanks Baz

IMAG0063.jpg

itspaul

Visit site
Yes the top one is the batt pos the one on the left is for the supply from the starter button or key to engage the starter and the larger one on the right is probably a permanent live when the battery is connected for ign feeds etc

VicS

Visit site
Check it out with a meter on a low ohms range

The vacant large terminal is without doubt the one for the battery and the alternator output.

you may find a circuit through the coil from one of the spade terminals to the casing .. but it is just possible that you'll get a circuit through to the other instead. If so then one has to be earthed.

Wiring diags of the MD7 give no clue!

Check itspaul's theory with the meter too. If he is correct you will find a circuit from the top terminal to it.

Last edited:

pampas

Visit site
The two small terminals are 1. to pull the solenoid in 2 used mainly in the auto trade for a voltage drop resistor during the instant of starting. Simplest way of explaining its operation.