MBY and MBM reports of Spanish taxes.

JamesFrance

Sant Carles Marina, Spain and Carcassonne
Visit site
I have just read the March editions of the two magazines.

MBY has negative comment apparently based on an anonymous report from someone in Torrevieja. All gloom and doom about basing your boat in a Spanish marina.

MBM on the other hand has what seems to be a well researched piece on the same subject including an interview with a Spanish lawyer who has been posting on the liveaboard forum.

I would suggest that anyone subscribing to MBY reads the MBM article before jumping to conclusions about the Spanish situation.

Rumours spread very easily I think.

Hurricane

Visit site
Yes, James, I did read both the articles.

I still dont think that there's anything to worry about as long as you (personally and not the boat) don't spend more than 6 months in Spain.

And like the MBM article says - is there anyone out there that has been caught by this legislation?

BTW I hadnt seen the article that you published on our other forum - I dont think its been seen here - on the Mobo forum anyway. You know - the taxation of Non Residents in Spain one. Perhaps you would like to post it?

Mike

JamesFrance

Sant Carles Marina, Spain and Carcassonne
Visit site
Hi Mike, yes the pdf was I think posted in the liveaboard forum by Lemain, so I kept it for future reference as I think you could be in Spain for more than 183 days without necessarily becoming resident, provided you could prove tax residence elsewhere.

You can only be resident in one country under the double tax agreements, so if there is a conflict the one where you have property seems to have priority, failing that the one where your economic interests are comes next.

http://www.agenciatributaria.es/AEAT/Con.../irnringles.pdf